Young layers for winter eggs?

Eric R

Songster
6 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Magnolia, TX
I got a few hens that should start laying soon while my current layers have almost stopped due to moulting and I'm assuming lower daylight. Has anyone done this and does having newer layers before winter help keep getting eggs throughout winter?

I got a few hens that should start laying soon while my current layers have almost stopped due to moulting and I'm assuming lower daylight. Has anyone done this and does having newer layers before winter help keep getting eggs throughout winter?
I wouldn’t think it would. If you want more eggs in the winter I would put a heat lamp for them and maybe a light source of some kind. It’s kind of like tricking their bodies like how leaving the barn lights on at night keeps horses’ coats from getting super thick. Anyways hens lay more when they’re nice and warm.

I wouldn’t think it would. If you want more eggs in the winter I would put a heat lamp for them and maybe a light source of some kind. It’s kind of like tricking their bodies like how leaving the barn lights on at night keeps horses’ coats from getting super thick. Anyways hens lay more when they’re nice and warm.

Temperature has nothing to do with it, it’s the light that affects the laying cycle.

So yes I would recommend putting a light on a timer so they get 12 hours of daylight.

I get the whole light thing. I guess what I was wondering was if new layers are less affected since their bodies just kicked into laying gear. I stil get eggs in the winter from some of my hens just not all so figured light wasn't everything. I guess I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Hi Eric, every spring, (in April), I bring in a few new chicks and every fall, (in September or October), I sell or give away my 2 or 3 year olds. This way the new chicks are beginning to lay when all of the others are going into a molt. I choose to buy chicks in April because they'll be 6 months old when my older girls start their molt which is October where I live. I've been doing this for many years and I always have the chicks laying through their first winter. I know that others on here do the same and have good luck with it. I haven't ever tried supplemental light.

Hi Eric, every spring, (in April), I bring in a few new chicks and every fall, (in September or October), I sell or give away my 2 or 3 year olds. This way the new chicks are beginning to lay when all of the others are going into a molt. I choose to buy chicks in April because they'll be 6 months old when my older girls start their molt which is October where I live. I've been doing this for many years and I always have the chicks laying through their first winter. I know that others on here do the same and have good luck with it. I haven't ever tried supplemental light.

EXACTLY! THIS is what I was asking. Much appreciated!

I get the whole light thing. I guess what I was wondering was if new layers are less affected since their bodies just kicked into laying gear. I stil get eggs in the winter from some of my hens just not all so figured light wasn't everything. I guess I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I found that some breeds (as in Leghorns) would lay all winter their first year with ZERO heat or light. And that is up here at Latitude 59... so short winter days.

Other breeds... winter laying as pullets....... depended on how production oriented the breed was verses more ornamental breeds. For most of the other breeds, even pullets, some light was needed (but then my shortest days are only 5 hours of light, so SUPER short). Temperature didn't seem to affect pullets, production or non-production breeds.

And though chickens do not need to be warm to lay, sudden drops in temperature, and very cold temperatures will reduce production especially in older hens.

So @Oncoming Storm is not off base. Temperature does make a difference, but a much bigger difference with hens than pullets. Or at least... that has been my experience.

Back
Top Bottom