Young male 'keet is sleeping all the time

Undimere

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
Northern Utah
I have had several parakeets over the past 20 years but I'm confused. My 4 month old parakeet, Porthos, has been sleeping a lot and bobbing his head in an unusual way these past 5 days. He snacks on his seed during the day. His eyes and nostrils look fine. His poo isn't the usual tight circle but not runny. It appears he may be molting but I haven't seen a bird so puffy and sleepy during a molt.
My biggest worry is the odd head-bobbing. Any advice?

Porthos, Baron du Vallon de Bracieux de Pierrefonds

I have had several parakeets over the past 20 years but I'm confused. My 4 month old parakeet, [COLOR=545454]Porthos[/COLOR][COLOR=545454], has been sleeping a lot and bobbing his head in an unusual way these past 5 days. He snacks on his seed during the day. His eyes and nostrils look fine. His poo isn't the usual tight circle but not runny. It appears he may be molting but I haven't seen a bird so puffy and sleepy during a molt.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=545454]My biggest worry is the odd head-bobbing. Any advice?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]Porthos[/COLOR][COLOR=545454], Baron du Vallon de Bracieux de Pierrefonds[/COLOR]
Hope you found out what's wrong. Mine was older but started doing the same thing. Got worse fast, and ended up being diagnosed with a tumor behind his eye. Was just a freak thing, poor baby.

Neurological problems are actually pretty common in parakeets. Have you noticed that your cage is a bit more messy then normal? I didn't realize until my little guy was gone, but almost half of the poop had been coming from him, I think he lost a bit of control of his body eventually. Mine still ate and drank normally almost until the end, especially his millet. If it's neurological then there isn't much you can do, but it is very likely that he could be in pain. The vet will give you liquid pain killer and a tiny serringe. It will cost almost nothing because the amount they use is so tiny. I would get the painkiller and give it to him, and see if you notice a positive difference. Then you will know that he has been in pain. If you don't notice a difference, then at least you have peace of mind that he is pain free. The drug my vet gave me is called Metacam, it's a common avian drug. I gave him 0.05cc orally twice daily. Check it out. It tastes bad, but it's kinda cute seeing them pucker their face, lol. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom