Young Polish lost vanes on head feathers

You're saying either the Polish did this to each other, or somehow the much smaller d'uccles did that? Without breaking any feathers?

It certainly looks like this is what has happened. Even smaller birds and other polish can feather peck polish. I’ve certainly had it happen in my all polish flocks. Try to keep plenty in there to keep them entertained. Also some no peck spray & blue kote on the crests if they are red should help. Once started with some of them it can become a habit.

Now that they've been under cover with dry hay on the ground... it looks like the issue this morning was a combination of wet heads and new growth that hadn't feathered out yet (as opposed to vanes being plucked off).

Good thing I don't have silkies... probably woulda thought they had leprosy, lol!

Attachments

• IMG_7929.JPG
    IMG_7929.JPG
    860 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7931.JPG
    IMG_7931.JPG
    984.6 KB · Views: 2
Oooohhh!
That makes more sense!
I was going to say that 11 weeks is prime time for a juvenile molt.
So you're seeing pin feathers?

That's what it looks like! All the shafts are uniform length and clean. So... maybe this means their topknots are going to fill out more :) The white crested kinda needs it - she doesn't have the big thick full hairdo that the silver crested does...kinda looks like a middle aged man with pattern baldness and a combover, lol.

Also clearly I've never seen a wet polish (or wet juvenile) chicken haha.

Back
Top Bottom