Young poult with potential crooked neck?

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
Hello. Our poults are between 3-4 weeks, broad breasted bronze. One of them is acting very strange this morning. Haunched over, head held close, keeps closing his/her eyes and making weird motions with his neck. Pressing his head into other poults or even into the wall of their brooder. Still chirps, runs away from me when I try to grab him, but I'm really worried.

All were fine last night. What can I this poult to help? Would nutridrench (for chickens) contain the vitamins necessary if its a deficiency?

They're all on poulin grain turkey/gamebird starter.

EDIT: Poult has flown up to perch/ Resting her head against the bars. Her mouth is open and she is 'drooling' slightly.

Last edited:
Hello. Our poults are between 3-4 weeks, broad breasted bronze. One of them is acting very strange this morning. Haunched over, head held close, keeps closing his/her eyes and making weird motions with his neck. Pressing his head into other poults or even into the wall of their brooder. Still chirps, runs away from me when I try to grab him, but I'm really worried.

All were fine last night. What can I this poult to help? Would nutridrench (for chickens) contain the vitamins necessary if its a deficiency?

They're all on poulin grain turkey/gamebird starter.

EDIT: Poult has flown up to perch/ Resting her head against the bars. Her mouth is open and she is 'drooling' slightly.
It sounds to me as if it is a possible case of coccidiosis. If so get Corid and start treatment immediately. Corid is available at most feed stores such as Tractor Supply and also at Amazon.

Hello, I meant to respond to this the other day for an update... but the internet was down at the time and I forgot.

I put some cayenne pepper in the chicks water and checked a few hours later and she was acting fine suddenly. No haunching over, eyes closed, running into things or any of her other symptoms. I'm not sure if she had experienced some kind of short neurological problem or what but she's been fine since. Keeping an eye on them though for anything else.

Thanks for your response!

Im having kinda the same problem..ish but mine are getting crazy spasms and dying in one day..lost 4 !! So Im doing terramycin plus corid ... Now we went two days with nobody dying but sunday 5 am one started the "stuff" and fell off the roost and spasms and crap..hes still alive today he is the ONLY one that has lived more than a day after acting like this ..How much cayenne did you use? does it mix easily? I force fed this guy and Im hopeful.... We do not have blackhead, i did autopsies...yuk.. and poop is just a tad runny not colored weird

Sorry about your chicks, that's awful! ):

I just sprinkled in a little in their water, didn't measure it. It mixed easily enough, just had to shake it. All the chicks have been healthy since that weird bout.

Thankyou...it is very heartbreaking not to know whats wrong and to find so many possibilities ... wow im doing this in the AM..#5 is still alive and got up on the roost by itself tonight so i just got down on my knees and thanked God...dont think i can handle any more death. thankyou for the reply i just couldnt picture what the amount should be. Ive got corid and tetracycline plus sugar( nobody was drinking and its 90+) and adding cayenne...its a real soup now lol

Sorry I keep forgetting to check this site. I'm glad your chick is doing better, and hope no others get sick.

Back
Top Bottom