Young Rescue Turkey Hen in Trouble UPDATE

Stewarts

Songster
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
PEI, Canada
This morning Sweet Pea is better. The effects seem to be wearing off of the tainted barley seed she ate. She stands just fine and she can walk more steadily and seems to be recovering her balance. She's very aware and alert, she even laid an egg! I put her and Henny's eggs aside so they are not eaten. Her poop is no longer mustard color but I put 1/4 tsp Cayenne into 1.5 liters of both their food and water, along with SuperBoost in the water. I will continue this for a few more days. She got a good dose of SuperBoost water soon after I noticed she wasn't walking straight yesterday and that seems to have gone a very long way is aiding her health. She is still not quite recovered today but she is so much better than yesterday.

Its still a wait and see but I am more hopeful of her full recovery. Thank you Retlaw for responding to my thread.

Any possibility the barley could have fermented and produced alcohol? I have seen chickens drunk from eating fermented alcohols. does she look like she has a headache?
lau.gif

Good update!

I don't know that they were fermented. I was using water with a little bit of plant food to sprout them. I guess they absorbed some of the plant food, enough to make her sick. My meat chicken ate the same and she shows absolutely no sign of harm. She doesn't look like she has a headache, just can't walk straight.

Young Rescue Turkey Hen in Trouble NEW UPDATE
I treated the water with SuperBoost yesterday, Sweet Pea got quite a few beakfulls of that and 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper in the same 1.5 liter of water today; She is on medicated turkey grower plus rolled oats, cracked corn and oyster shell but I limited these to make her feed easier for her to digest.
This morning she was still staggering around a bit but it was a vast improvement from yesterday when she was falling down. I came back from morning errands, checked on her:
ya.gif
She is almost walking normally now and is almost completely recovered!
celebrate.gif

I just cooked up two dozen eggs as a treat for my flock in the coup and Sweet Pea/Henny in the house.

Thank you to those who read and those who replied. It is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom