Young Roo with excess Libido - Fix?

SadiesRoost

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
So I picked up 6 chicks in March 2020 all "Pullets" per the feed store. ( I know accuracy is always a little off) Out of 6 I have 1 young Rooster all are about 18 weeks, none of the girls have started laying, I suspect they are getting close... IF Rooster and all the changes doesn't stress them out. I've had mature Rooster's previously with plenty of girls but never had an issue. This guy isn't really a bad guy, not human aggressive but he IS overly forceful with the girls and won't leave them alone! No is not an option when it comes to mating. He does the "dance" and they RUN!!!! He follows them into hiding spots and forces them, upsetting everyone! They avoid him and tends to pick on them after they decline his "attention". Previously my Rooster's were either "mature" or the girls were old enough to comply no issues. Had multiple rooster's even youngster's but never this problem. I've tried separating them for a period of time, but as soon as he's back the game start's all over again. Assuming I could find two older layer's, they would need to be quarantined... so not an easy add in for a fix. I think he's got to be re-homed or culled as a last resort. Not only are the hens having a difficulty with this but the DH who has PTSD cannot handle the mayhem well, so it is a bit of an added human problem too. Ideas, Thoughts?

It hurts a cockerel not one little bit to be barricaded from the pullets. I learned very early on that cockerels and roosters are very content to stand in a small space all day and girl watch and chat with them through a fence.

I have two adult roos right now in a flock of 19 hens, including older retired layers and three pullets. The boys spend all morning while the girls are busy laying patrolling the exterior of the run. They wander about like ordinary chickens, but spend most of the time keeping an eye on the girls from their exterior vantage.

While both of these roosters are pretty good with the hens, I've had some pretty annoying cockerels in the past that weren't allowed to remain in the flock. One in particular, a Golden Cuchoo Marans, became a heat seeking missile as soon as his hormones came in. He would acquire the "target", launch, zoom in on the hen like a torpedo, and then, in his over zealousness, sail right over her head, ending up like a human bowling ball in the gutter. It was both hilarious and pathetic.

There are losers among roos as there are among men.

Greatly appreciate your response. Just separated him again this morning, will give him another opportunity to shape up or else.

You might wait until nearly all your pullets are laying. Or at least that I what I am going to try. Then see if when the girls are ready, and he is a bit older... but not all roosters are a good fit.

What you describe is pretty common. The hormones have hit the boy, telling him to dominate those pullets. At that stage the mating is more about dominating than fertilizing eggs. The one on bottom is accepting the dominance of the one on top, either willingly or by force. Right now with yours it is by force. With his hormones in control "no" is not an option. Those immature pullets are not ready to say "yes". Often with behavioral problems more room might help. In this case, probably not that much.

I don't know what your goals are or why you want a rooster. If you want to keep that immature cockerel I'd isolate him until two or three of the pullets are laying and then try again. He and they may have matured enough to start acting like mature adults. When I go through this I typically just leave them alone as long as no one is getting physically hurt but that can be hard for some people to watch.

You were originally trying for all pullets. If you don't have a good reason to keep him, get rid of him. I can send you a good recipe or you can try to sell him or give him away. Try to keep it simple.

What you describe is pretty common. The hormones have hit the boy, telling him to dominate those pullets. At that stage the mating is more about dominating than fertilizing eggs. The one on bottom is accepting the dominance of the one on top, either willingly or by force. Right now with yours it is by force. With his hormones in control "no" is not an option. Those immature pullets are not ready to say "yes". Often with behavioral problems more room might help. In this case, probably not that much.

I don't know what your goals are or why you want a rooster. If you want to keep that immature cockerel I'd isolate him until two or three of the pullets are laying and then try again. He and they may have matured enough to start acting like mature adults. When I go through this I typically just leave them alone as long as no one is getting physically hurt but that can be hard for some people to watch.

You were originally trying for all pullets. If you don't have a good reason to keep him, get rid of him. I can send you a good recipe or you can try to sell him or give him away. Try to keep it simple.
Fantastic reply which is greatly appreciated. I don't hate roosters, and IF he "merits" my feeding him, he will be allowed to stay. Yes, the goal was to have eggs that is all... long term self sufficiency is always a bonus and would likely include a Rooster, just wasn't intending that immediately or with the particular breed. Wanted to have a PLAN - Ha ha :D

Back
Top Bottom