Young rooster aggressive towards older flock

VThomesteadgal

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
Hi there everyone.

I have 5 girls left in my old gal flock, they’re all about 3-4 years old. July we got a new round and we’re surprised to have a rooster. He’s been great and not showing much aggression but I’m assuming his “puberty” is hitting him. He’s fairly nice to the hens he was raised with but I am noticing he is showing quite a bit of aggression towards some of my old gals. One in particular. I have noticed she has lost weight and is very afraid of him, and the other old gals will actually huddle around her when inside their run. With winter coming, and then preferring to not be in the snow as much, I’mhoping there may be some solutions to discouraging him from going after them.
Is that even possible? We don’t plan on hatching, so should we try to find him a new home? He is an australorp, and I’ve heard that they are generally gentle giants. Any input helps!

Hi there everyone.

I have 5 girls left in my old gal flock, they’re all about 3-4 years old. July we got a new round and we’re surprised to have a rooster. He’s been great and not showing much aggression but I’m assuming his “puberty” is hitting him. He’s fairly nice to the hens he was raised with but I am noticing he is showing quite a bit of aggression towards some of my old gals. One in particular. I have noticed she has lost weight and is very afraid of him, and the other old gals will actually huddle around her when inside their run. With winter coming, and then preferring to not be in the snow as much, I’mhoping there may be some solutions to discouraging him from going after them.
Is that even possible? We don’t plan on hatching, so should we try to find him a new home? He is an australorp, and I’ve heard that they are generally gentle giants. Any input helps!
Is he going after them, or trying to mate?

Hi there everyone.

Can you describe what you mean by aggression towards the older hens? Can you get it on video, upload it to YouTube and post a link here?

You're the only one who can decide if you want to keep him or not. If you don't want a rooster, then find him a new home. (Personally, I'd put him in the freezer.) As Mrs. K says, "solve for the peace of the flock". If he's a problem with your older hens, separate them or get rid of him. Problem solved. Do you want your hens to live in peace, or have to deal with this cockerel?

Can you describe what you mean by aggression towards the older hens? Can you get it on video, upload it to YouTube and post a link here?

well, I think it’s what happens when they are breeding but he seems to be quite aggressive about it. And has clawed out one of the girls feathers on her back. I’ll definitely try to post video or some photos of Nuggets back. It’s my first time having a rooster, so I’m still learning. He seems to only pick on her, and I’m wondering if because she’s afraid of him, maybe that’s why he picks on her? He’s been nice for the most part, I’ve been able to pick him up and walk around with him. Just an issue with this one hen.

You're the only one who can decide if you want to keep him or not. If you don't want a rooster, then find him a new home. (Personally, I'd put him in the freezer.) As Mrs. K says, "solve for the peace of the flock". If he's a problem with your older hens, separate them or get rid of him. Problem solved. Do you want your hens to live in peace, or have to deal with this cockerel?

missed out on a thanksgiving meal I guess! I know it’s my decision, I just wasn’t sure if there was any advice or thoughts on why he seems to pick on this one hen and if there are things we can do to detour him from doing it to bring peace back to the flock. May come to a point where he becomes a Friday night frozen dinner though!

well, I think it’s what happens when they are breeding but he seems to be quite aggressive about it. And has clawed out one of the girls feathers on her back. I’ll definitely try to post video or some photos of Nuggets back. It’s my first time having a rooster, so I’m still learning. He seems to only pick on her, and I’m wondering if because she’s afraid of him, maybe that’s why he picks on her? He’s been nice for the most part, I’ve been able to pick him up and walk around with him. Just an issue with this one hen.
It sounds like she is his favorite and he is overbreeding her. You can pen him separately from the rest of the flock to give the girls a break. He needs to grow up. If you don't want to deal with him, you can rehome him.

Juvenile roosters are like clumsy, horny teenage boys... they usually mature and get the hang of “gentle love making” after going at it for a little while. If he is just being clumsy sexually while trying to figure things out, that’s one thing. If he is actually attacking and hurting them, I would say he needs to go. You can always get a saddle for the most effected hens until he figures out how to do things properly. But it’s entirely up to you.... I would go with what you feel is best.

It sounds like she is his favorite and he is overbreeding her. You can pen him separately from the rest of the flock to give the girls a break. He needs to grow up. If you don't want to deal with him, you can rehome him.

thank you! I had a feeling it was the initial raging hormones phase. New territory for me but thank you for the advice and talking me through it!!

Juvenile roosters are like clumsy, horny teenage boys... they usually mature and get the hang of “gentle love making” after going at it for a little while. If genus just being clumsy sexually while trying to figure things out, that’s one thing. If he is actually attacking and hurting them, I would say he needs to go. You can always get a saddle for the most effected hens until he figures out how to do things properly. But it’s entirely up to you.... I would go with what you feel is best.

thank you so much! My heart wants to keep him because he has been quite gentle and allows us to pick him up and such. It’s just hard to see the separation in the flock with my older girls. It’s like high school, but for chickens. Or maybe more like middle school! Thank you for the reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom