1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young rooster questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hmbrown05, Sep 22, 2015.

1. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    I have a 7 month old EE who has just been promoted (by me) to head of my 25 bird flock. I butchered the previous rooster this morning because he was quite prejudice on only mating my red hens and was pulling out their feathers, not to mention he was fathered by a particularly aggressive roo and I didn't want to risk him following in dad's foot steps...

This yougin has been paired with an older hen (one of "dinner's" beating hens) for a few months now. I will see him occasionally breed some of the other hens, but the two follow each other constantly like a mated pair. Any thoughts on whether or not he will step up and be flock rooster? Or will he likely just keep hanging out with the old hen?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The old hen may very well remain as his 'buddy', but he will spread his lovin' around. 25 hens is a lot for one rooster to handle, but oh what a grand challenge. [​IMG]

3. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Lol, yes, I will be culling some probably late this fall and adding some chicks in the Spring and likely another up and coming roo, but I would prefer him to be the sire of the next generation of hatchlings :) Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by