Young silkie is having an issue walking

AmbersOfNimbus

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
I've got several young silkies right now. Unexpectedly ,one of my most lovely and friendly white ones is having issues walking on her left leg. I don't know why, her leg appears to be fine, nothing out of place or new. It's not swollen. But whenever she walks, she doesn't appear to be able to put weight onto it.(Or so it seems, in my view) She's able to somewhat hop her way to get food any water, so that's good. However, I feel horrible seeing her unable to properly walk.
She's the largest out of the ones that I have, around 5-6 inches tall. She was acting fine earlier today. But right before I was heading to bed, I noticed she was hopping around in an odd way, I've put her with some of my younger chickens(Who are only 3 weeks old, so she's not being ran over by them. If anything, they appear to enjoy having her with them. And she's...not seeming to care.)
I can't post pictures, I don't have a camera. If any of you know what it might be, please let me know. I am horribly worried for this chicken.

Could be something like a sprain, or bumble foot, so check her feet and legs. Also check her leg feathers to see if they look okay, otherwise things like Mareks come to mind if you find nothing wrong and she gets worse over the coming week or two.

It might be a slipped tendon or other leg bone deformity, but difficult to tell without a picture or video. Injuries are very common with yound chickens. Hopefully it is not the early symptoms of Mareks, which can cause paralysis in one or both legs or wings, or a twisted neck. Chicken vitamins can sometimes be helpful, but make sure that she can get to food and water. Sometimes placing them in a pen or crate with their own food and water can be good.

I am having the same issue with one of my silkies. She lays her whole leg on the ground and kind of bumbles around with it. She can still climb the ladder to get into the coup and still eats and drinks fine. I have looked her over carefully and don't see any other issues and can stretch her legs out without much fuss. She tends to just nestle herself into a corner of the coop or yard and sit there while everyone else hustles about. The other hens aren't messing with her much, but I am not sure how to help her.

My Silkie chicken walked slightly odd for her "baby" weeks. It was sort of a hobble. She is just fine now. Since you don't have a video, it's hard for me to compare. But my best wishes to your Silkie! :fl:hugs

CarolinesChicks, it may help to start some poultry vitamins that contain riboflavin (vitamin B 2) in her water. Some like Poultry Cell can be given orally or in a little food, and even a B Complex tablet can be halved and crushed into a treat daily. Do not use Poultry NutriDrench since it has no riboflavin. Riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis. An injury or heredity could affect legs, and lastly Mareks disease would be at the bottom of a list of possibilities.

I'm having a similar issue with my favorite little one also (why does it always have to be the faves!). I've had mine for a week now. Drove 2 hrs to a reputable breeder that I've used before - All of her birds look amazing! It walked fine when he was with his Mama, then we got him home, into his new brooder and this started. He kicks his butt with his right leg when he walks. At first I thought it was the difference in bedding, something stuck on its foot, etc. but I've checked the foot, and him thoroughly, and have no idea - Does this look familiar to anyone?? I tried to attach a video but it wouldn't let me so I posted a screen shot and I know it's hard to see but you can see how high he lifts his food backward (It's not alway this pronounced, seems worse when he walks fast. Other than this, he's perfect - eating and drinking like a little dino ❤️)

IMG_1592.jpg

Back
Top Bottom