Young Silkie's Head keeps twitching......

Chickens4Life101

Songster
Apr 30, 2018
We have six silkies, that are 8 weeks old. One of our buff silkies, Orange, has been doing this weird thing with her head. She has been doing it for about 2 or 3 weeks, and we don't know what is wrong. Her twitches aren't jolted or fast. When she twitches, her head sways back and forth for about 10-25 seconds. I see her do this all the time, and it is beginning to get concerning. Any ideas on what this is?
I'll try to upload a video if possible.

It sounds neurological. Can you upload a video to YouTube with a link posted here? If it is a neurological symptom, you canntry giving the remedies for wry neck, which are vitamin E 400 IU and some thiamine (vitamin B1,) which is found in most chick vitamins.
Sometimes chickens will adjust their crops, and it will be good to see exactly what the movements look like. How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, soft, or puffy?

That's what happened to my chick who had wry neck. If you supplement with sunflower seeds, her head will eventually stop twitching. My chick's head flipped all the way upside down. We separated him for a few weeks to lower his stress. You probably won't want to breed your silkie. Wry neck is a genetic, and you don't want a whole brood of chicks with wry neck.

It does sound like wry neck, which CAN BE caused by genetic, head injury (especially in vaulted breeds like silkies), or nutritional deficiency. If you are giving medicated feed I would stop and start vitamin supplement made for poultry like poultry cell in water, please disregard advise to give infant poly-Vi-Sol as this is misinformation regurgitated all over social media these vitamins are intended for human infants and do not have correct dosage to treat a chick. Make sure birds have plenty of space and watch for bullying especially in a mixed flock. Feed a quality feed and limit treats as they dilute the nutrients of the feed. I do agree not to breed a bird that has to be treated for wry neck unless you know the cause, a lot of times people don't.

That's what happened to my chick who had wry neck. If you supplement with sunflower seeds, her head will eventually stop twitching. My chick's head flipped all the way upside down. We separated him for a few weeks to lower his stress. You probably won't want to breed your silkie. Wry neck is a genetic, and you don't want a whole brood of chicks with wry neck.

Ok! Thank you so much! We will definatley feed her some seeds!

Thank you everyone for the help! Ok, so I YouTubed some videos of what wry neck looks like, and I'm just not positive that it is what Orange has. It is a definite possibility especially since silkies are more likely to get it, but the videos just didn't seem like what Orange has going on. I'll try to upload a video of Orange twitching, if I can

Back
Top Bottom