Young steer lethargic/labored breathing....Help!

sgarrison

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
Slate Hill, NY
I have a year old miniature hereford steer who is a bit lethargic, and breathing heavily. He is eating, though not with as much enthusiasm as her usually does....all the others are fine, they are all vaccinated regularly, in a great field, clean water, etc. He stomach also seems a bit distended....any way worms could cause this? He was wormed in February, but I can't think of anything else......anyone have any ideas??

Either you need to poke a hole in the stomach to let out the air or get a vet ASAP... Sounds bloated.

We had a special tool when I was a kid, Dad showed me right where to punch it in hard... saved a cow once that had got into the green alfalfa field.

Xtra strength GASX by mouth.. 1 per 100 lbs can be used. Otherwise his belly may need to be tapped. You better get him help sooner than later.

If his side is only a bit distended I would be more concerned about pnuemonia which, btw, can cause issues leading to bloat. Bloat would cause a very distended stomach and usually hard and may sound like a drum if you gently "slap/pound" his side.

You were advised to poke him and let the gas out that way. Tubing, if you know how, is much more preferable.

Over at BYCows we advised you to contact your vet and I would say that still stands.

Thanks for all the quick responses, he is starting on antibiotics for possible pneumonia, hopefully he will be back to normal soon:)

Back
Top Bottom