Young tom turkey behavior?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by moetrout, May 20, 2010.

1. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    So I have 6 hens and a turkey, all about 6 weeks old and all were moved last night from indoors to the outdoors. The turkey started doing a little strutting last week, but wow, when he got outside for good in the sunshine he was really strutting his stuff! It was so cool to see a tom that young doing that! Even more interesting is that I think he thinks those chickens are his hens. If one of them stryed from the group forraging he would go over, puff up, drop his wings and then use his wings to heard her back into the group. Anyone else ever see this before? It's all new to me and was really pretty exciting to watch. Too cool!

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Turkeys are interesting to say the least I never get tired of watching them.

Steve

3. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I was cleaning brooders and banding turkeys last night and my little poults started dancing, puffing up and dragging there wings. It was so cute.

[​IMG]

4. chickentales

chickentales Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

My young turkey learning to strut for the chicks

5. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Chickentales how old is your turkey in this picture?

6. chickentales

Apr 30, 2010
    Arizona
    So sorry about the delay in the reply [​IMG] The turkey is 2 mos old in this picture. He/she started strutting young. I have no idea if this is normal.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Turkeys can be entertaining. I've come to like the hens best of all with their chirps and calls.

Until it comes time to get them to back in for the night....

8. chickentales

Apr 30, 2010
    Arizona
    My turkey insists on being the last one into the coop. He stays out about 20 minutes after all the chickens have picked their roosting spot. Then he enters and very noisily flaps his wings and jumps on the roost of his liking. Sometimes he knocks the chickens off THEIR roost spots. It's quite funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by