Young turkey sudden lethargy

Slightly bad news update

Vet won't see my other sick baby unless I make another appointment, which the soonest is Tuesday. I don't know how long she's been having these symptoms (I had thought she was eating decent when I first made harper's appointment, I thought I remembered her eating well), and I don't know how much longer she'll be alright with them either. I just mostly want to get her the same treatments that Harper had to see if it helps too.

My question is, I have B12 injectable and Albon Oral Suspension 5%. Could I give those to my other turkey orally in place of the injectable b12 and SulfaMed 40% that they injected at the vet? If so what should the dosages be? If needed I can post in the Emergency forum as well. Thanks

Edit: I used the online appointment request for the vet clinic and was able to schedule an appointment for 2PM today, even though the lady on the phone said she could schedule us Tuesday? So I guess we'll see if we actually have the 2pm appointment or not.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the vet couldnt see her. Sulfa and B12 is what he gave my other one. I gave her an albon dose tonight and she started eating at least the crumble chick starter I offered her. Going to watch her water and food intake tomorrow before I decide if I want to keep up the Albon. I bought b12 for poultry too so I'll give her some of that, also bought flock raiser crumble and am going to switch them to it and see if that helps, then eventually gradually transition to pellets

Why did your vet give the turkey b12? I wonder if it could still be coccidiosis. I have turkeys the same age as yours, and they still have coccidiosis that recurs sometimes.

I hope your turkeys feel better soon.

Why did your vet give the turkey b12? I wonder if it could still be coccidiosis. I have turkeys the same age as yours, and they still have coccidiosis that recurs sometimes.

I hope your turkeys feel better soon.
Unsure tbh. He checked stools and said he couldn't find any coccidia or worms, so I had taken them off the corid water bc I didnt want to block any important vitamins or anything they could need if it wasnt coccidia. He had mentioned that sometimes birds will just have off days like this, so I guess the b12 was maybe to stimulate appetite? Unless I just got super unlucky and all 3 stool samples checked had no coccidia in them.

Unsure tbh. He checked stools and said he couldn't find any coccidia or worms, so I had taken them off the corid water bc I didnt want to block any important vitamins or anything they could need if it wasnt coccidia. He had mentioned that sometimes birds will just have off days like this, so I guess the b12 was maybe to stimulate appetite? Unless I just got super unlucky and all 3 stool samples checked had no coccidia in them.
I think only cecal poop contains the coccidia

I think only cecal poop contains the coccidia
All poop can contain coccidia, and this is why:
1631975219681.png

1631975266680.png

Source:

Attachments

• coccidia_1.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Oh, so is this saying most species barring maybe adenoeides should show up in non-cecal poops?
I'm not sure...

Your turkey has blood in its "regular poop" (non-cecal), so I would guess it's one of the non-cecal coccidia strains. Can you get a picture of a cecal poop?

I'm not sure...

Your turkey has blood in its "regular poop" (non-cecal), so I would guess it's one of the non-cecal coccidia strains. Can you get a picture of a cecal poop?
I'll try. The one who was pooping those poops I posted pictures of earlier is basically back to normal now, and all her droppings went back to normal with no blood/liner in them at all. The one that is sick now is mostly just pooping liquid with a small amount of poop in the urate, and the poops are few and far between so I'll see if I can catch one. I'm not sure if I've seen her do a cecal poop in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom