Young turkey sudden lethargy

Pics
And how much do you think her crop can hold?
That's a good question. So today, we've fed her twice so far (Once in the morning, once after she came home from the vet around 4pm central) and also gave her fluids twice so far. Right now (9:56pm) when I felt her crop, it was definitely rounded and full, just squishy, which I assume is from the food since that was the last thing she had. Her poops are solid, they look very normal. So should I skip food/fluids for tonight and just pick back up in the morning?

Also I just found out earlier I'd been reading the scale wrong the whole time. She's weighed at least 4.10lbs, the way the scale has it displayed was confusing my eyes. When I weighed her again this afternoon she was 4.15lbs (4.8lbs at the vet), and that was when I finally realized I'd read it wrong this whole time :he

We had to euthanize her. We tube fed her 4 days straight 3-4 times a day, increasing the amount up to 23 x her weight, along with her 1/2 a pill a day. She did not improve. Her weight maintained the entire time. We had the vet do xrays and bloodwork. Her white blood cells were elevated, there was something with her liver count too but I don't remember. Her gizzard was severely impacted. She had gas built up so bad in her proventriculus that the vet couldn't see some of the organs in the xray. She appeared to have fluid in her lungs (He said it could be from tube feeding, but also not, we didn't once witness her aspirate so I assume it came somewhere else). He said with surgery, it would be around $1500 and her outlook wasn't great. She was so weak. I couldn't let her suffer anymore. I am incredibly heartbroken and feel so guilty.

My mother was amazing enough to do a necropsy on her. She doesn't know what she's looking at though. We did find out her gizzard was full of just... stones. There was a piece of glass but it wasn't very large and there were no punctures in her gizzard. I think I am going to post a thread in the injuries/etc board and see if anyone can help me figure out what she was looking at.

Thank you so much for your help, Casport. I really appreciated it.

We had to euthanize her. We tube fed her 4 days straight 3-4 times a day, increasing the amount up to 23 x her weight, along with her 1/2 a pill a day. She did not improve. Her weight maintained the entire time. We had the vet do xrays and bloodwork. Her white blood cells were elevated, there was something with her liver count too but I don't remember. Her gizzard was severely impacted. She had gas built up so bad in her proventriculus that the vet couldn't see some of the organs in the xray. She appeared to have fluid in her lungs (He said it could be from tube feeding, but also not, we didn't once witness her aspirate so I assume it came somewhere else). He said with surgery, it would be around $1500 and her outlook wasn't great. She was so weak. I couldn't let her suffer anymore. I am incredibly heartbroken and feel so guilty.

My mother was amazing enough to do a necropsy on her. She doesn't know what she's looking at though. We did find out her gizzard was full of just... stones. There was a piece of glass but it wasn't very large and there were no punctures in her gizzard. I think I am going to post a thread in the injuries/etc board and see if anyone can help me figure out what she was looking at.

Thank you so much for your help, Casport. I really appreciated it.
Sorry for your loss I can tell by your other postings that you really care for your turkeys. Again sorry for your loss and best of luck with your other birds.

Back
Top Bottom