Young turkeys with chickens?

homesteader

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 25, 2007
I will be getting 2 turkey poults, and 25 broilers. I plan on keeping the poults with the broiler chicks until the turkeys get too big and crowding becomes a concern.

Do you think if the turkeys are as big as or bigger than the laying hens, it will be ok to put them with the laying flock?

I guess I get worried about them getting picked on.

If these are Broad breasted turkeys they will be picked on by the chickens. The BB's get so fat and lumbering that they can't defend themselves.

I have a BB hen I got attached to and kept. She has to stay in her own pen now because the chickens will tear huge holes in her. All it took was her breaking a pin feather and bleeding. Now they start their own holes in her.

The laying hens will terrorize very young turkeys. They just aren't aggressive.

I have 2 turkey poults (bronze and bourbon red cross) that were initially raised with chicks by the person who hatched them. The turkeys did not grow well and were constantly dodging the chicks. I have them in separate runs now and the poults are finally showing they are growing and healthy.

I know on this forum several people have them all together without problems but it just doesn't work that way for me.

I have my 5 turkeys in with my 18 checkens and they for the greater part get along, there is a ocassional spat but my bronze turkeys keep to themselves for the most part and I see little squabbles started by both chickens and turkeys.

The turkeys and chickens were raised as chicks togather which I think helps, I would be concerned if putting turkey chicks in with larger hens but mine all seem to be a happy family as the turkeys have taken on chicken traits such as when one hen chases a bug across the lawn, a turky will follow in pursuit.

The chickens out grew the turkeys in the first couple of months but they quickly outgrew the chickens and now hens and roos are dwarfed by them!

Another thing to keep in mind is that chickens and turkey feed requirements are different, as well as the risk of blackhead disease (which chickens can transmit to turkeys - chickens may show no symptoms, however it is deadly to turkeys). Many people successfully raise them together, but it is really not a recommended practice IMO.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom