Young Welsummer not well

hanneke

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2010
I tried to attach a video but it didn’t let me.
I have a Welsummer hen that hatched December 12. It’s part of a group of 10 and some are laying just a few weeks but I’m not sure if this one has laid an egg at all.

Last night she didn’t come in the coop but sat on the ground. I could easily grab her and put her on a roost.
She sat in the exact same position this morning and after that on the floor of the coop. Making soft clucking noises.

I gave her an Epsom salt soak, some calcium (which she didn’t want) and put her in my spare bathroom with food and water.

I also put lubricant on her vent but it doesn’t feel like anything is there. I cannot feel an egg.

She does poop, runny and white. No blood.

What else can this be? She doesn’t seem too uncomfortable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 22
Did it seem like she was making a nest on that spot on the floor? Could she be broody? I know you said she is young but one of my hens went broody just a month after she started laying.

Another thought: I had a hen who was sometimes bullied by the top hen. On days the head hen was rougher on her, I would find her next to the back door at dusk, when everyone else had gone to the coop to roost. It was as if she was scared to go up and roost near that hen. Have you noticed anyone picking on her?

I don't have an answer for you, but those were just some thoughts I had when I read the post.

Did it seem like she was making a nest on that spot on the floor? Could she be broody? I know you said she is young but one of my hens went broody just a month after she started laying.

Another thought: I had a hen who was sometimes bullied by the top hen. On days the head hen was rougher on her, I would find her next to the back door at dusk, when everyone else had gone to the coop to roost. It was as if she was scared to go up and roost near that hen. Have you noticed anyone picking on her?

I don't have an answer for you, but those were just some thoughts I had when I read the post.
It was in the middle of the driveway with no cover. It seems a weird spot. She also seems to squeeze with her back part. But I’ve never seen an egg bound hen before so idk. She doesn’t seem sick apart from not moving and not eating.
I’ve not seen bullying but it’s possible.

It was in the middle of the driveway with no cover. It seems a weird spot. She also seems to squeeze with her back part. But I’ve never seen an egg bound hen before so idk. She doesn’t seem sick apart from not moving and not eating.
I’ve not seen bullying but it’s possible.
Oh I did not see that you said she's not eating either. It sounds like it could be broody, but if it's in the middle of the driveway, then yeah, I'd be concerned that it's something else. What do you feed them?

Also, why is she in the dark in your bathroom? I don't think it's a horrible idea to bring her inside but is there a reason for turning the light off?

Oh I did not see that you said she's not eating either. It sounds like it could be broody, but if it's in the middle of the driveway, then yeah, I'd be concerned that it's something else. What do you feed them?

Also, why is she in the dark in your bathroom? I don't think it's a horrible idea to bring her inside but is there a reason for turning the light off?
Sorry. Just saw this reply.
I think I will start a new post.
She’s not egg bound because she’s laying eggs. She eats drinks and seems for the rest healthy. I have her outside in a dog run.
But she’s for sure lame. At one side I believe because she uses her wings to move around

Sorry. Just saw this reply.
I think I will start a new post.
She’s not egg bound because she’s laying eggs. She eats drinks and seems for the rest healthy. I have her outside in a dog run.
But she’s for sure lame. At one side I believe because she uses her wings to move around
Okay. I'm glad she's eating and drinking. I'm no expert, but I've heard of vitamin B12 deficiencies causing lameness. You can get that in liquid form at the farm store and it would be a low-risk way to see if that could be the problem. What does her normal diet consist of?

Okay. I'm glad she's eating and drinking. I'm no expert, but I've heard of vitamin B12 deficiencies causing lameness. You can get that in liquid form at the farm store and it would be a low-risk way to see if that could be the problem. What does her normal diet consist of?
I have human vitamin B12 in liquid form. You think I can try that?

I have human vitamin B12 in liquid form. You think I can try that?
Yes, I think so. Just make sure there aren't any ingredients that wouldn't be safe for chickens.

Here is a picture of my bottle so you can see the ingredients, concentration, and dosage. Compare that to what you have and base your dosage on that. I would say if yours has any ingredients that aren't in mine and you aren't sure about, you might want to get the poultry-specific kind.
signal-2023-05-17-15-54-47-438.jpg
signal-2023-05-17-15-54-29-250.jpg

I'd say go with the syringe (no needle) straight into her mouth if you can, as opposed to putting it in the water. That way she gets a real boost of it and you know how much she got.

Back
Top Bottom