Younger hen limping suddenly

morgandrew86

In the Brooder
May 8, 2018
Reno Nv
One of my girls who is about 13 weeks seems as though she had a hurt leg or foot. No noticeable injury. Bottom of foot is fine. I think it’s her baby toe in back. When I touch it she kinda pecks at me to stop. Can I help her? Should I leave it? Do these things work themselves out? Sorry I’m new to chickens and I only have 3 right now so I’m slightly attached. Also, is that noise normal? She’s the only one who really makes it, I always laugh and tell her she’s not a duck she’s a chicken...

Bless her heart... yes that sound is normal... she is chatting and her voice is still changing. :love

Can you feel any heat that might detect an injury you can't see? DO you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?

If it's an injury it MIGHT work itself out. If it's Marek's (and she is the perfect age for it)... no it won't work itself out. :barnie

How long has she been limping for? Does it appear to be getting any better or worse? Is her pecking at you seem like a pain withdrawal or just hey your violating my space leave me alone?

Best source for Marek's info...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Bless her heart... yes that sound is normal... she is chatting and her voice is still changing. :love

Can you feel any heat that might detect an injury you can't see? DO you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?

If it's an injury it MIGHT work itself out. If it's Marek's (and she is the perfect age for it)... no it won't work itself out. :barnie

How long has she been limping for? Does it appear to be getting any better or worse? Is her pecking at you seem like a pain withdrawal or just hey your violating my space leave me alone?

Best source for Marek's info...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

This is her ONLY symptom, there is no mereks symptoms yet that i can see... shes eating fine as of right now also.. the pecking is kinda like a HEY dont touch that hurts.... Today is her 2nd day limping, i noticed her yesterday. She not laying down refusing to walk shes hobbling everywhere she goes and limping pretty badly. no sign of obvious broken bones... i felt up and down her leg. i plan to try and epsom salt bath tonight and someone told me a 1/2 a asprin may help her pain, is that true?

Aspirin is used for pain in animals though I don't know the correct dosage... and I personally would NOT administer it in THIS instance. She isn't having enough pain to keep her away from the flock or stop eating...

Pain is the bodies way of slowing us down so we don't make injuries worse. Most people don't realize what a blessing pain IS. No pain equals things like lepers'.

Sometimes limping IS the only sign of Marek's, usually with a good appetite and plenty of energy all with NO other signs... so don't discount it too quickly. Might still progress. :hmm

Also... could see recovery and doesn't mean it wasn't Marek's. Not all birds will die. Mine lived 3 weeks before I culled. Many people have birds that survive Marek's... depending on how viral-ant a strain is and the birds own immune system.

Good luck! :fl

Aspirin is used for pain in animals though I don't know the correct dosage... and I personally would NOT administer it in THIS instance. She isn't having enough pain to keep her away from the flock or stop eating...

Pain is the bodies way of slowing us down so we don't make injuries worse. Most people don't realize what a blessing pain IS. No pain equals things like lepers'.

Sometimes limping IS the only sign of Marek's, usually with a good appetite and plenty of energy all with NO other signs... so don't discount it too quickly. Might still progress. :hmm

Also... could see recovery and doesn't mean it wasn't Marek's. Not all birds will die. Mine lived 3 weeks before I culled. Many people have birds that survive Marek's... depending on how viral-ant a strain is and the birds own immune system.

Good luck! :fl

is the mareks vaccine one i can get at my local tractor supply and administer myself?

It is very common to injure a leg or foot, jumping down from roosts or fences. It is obvious it hurts. Hopefully, not Mareks, but it is always good to be aware of it. Resting the leg would be best. She may limit herself, or if not you could try placing her in a crate or pen with food and water, and maybe a friend for a few days to see if it gets better or worse. It can take weeks sometimes for sprains to heal. Hip injuries are usually worse. If you have a good relationship with your vet, you might get some meloxicam for inflammation and pain. Aspirin 81 mg tablets twice a day could be given in a treat or in some wet feed. As stated before, pain may be a way to limit her activity. I would not let her roost until she is better.

is the mareks vaccine one i can get at my local tractor supply and administer myself?

This link should answer all your questions about Marek's (if not I might need to add to it):

The vaccine can only effectively be administered before chicks are 36 hours old, and it's a tricky vaccine to get/use (at this time you can only mail order it in the US, to my knowledge) because it must be stored at extremely cold temperatures before mixing and administering to day old chicks. For the vaccine to be most effective, chicks must then be allowed to develop an immune response by completely (100% completely) isolating them from any infectious chickens or areas for a minimum of three weeks. The vaccine does not prevent infection, but helps improve the immune system response so that chickens are more likely to not experience symptoms.

The link above also explores other problems that can cause limping (see: "Are there any other diseases that look like Marek's?" section) that you can investigate and explore treatment options.

Back
Top Bottom