Youngest Pullet Self-isolating

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
Hello. I started my backyard flock a little over a month ago. I have 7 hens; 4 are actively laying; 1 is too old to lay, and 2 are too young to lay. The youngest pullet, which I call Baby, isn't integrating into the flock well. In fact, she actually seems to be self-isolating. I've had her for a month now. She came in with the other pullet (Mahalia) that seems a little older and is fully integrated. Baby was sticking close to Mahalia initially. Now, Mahalia is running with the big girls (all over the yard) while Baby is usually somewhere alone crouched down. Her interaction is all but nonexistent. When I sprinkle treats in the yard, she used to scurry for them (and of course getting a little roughed up by the others since she's low on the totem pole). She would actually manage to get a few pecks in here and there. Now, she doesn't even try. So here is my question... do I have anything to be worried about (her lack of integration)? I know they will eventually work it out, but she is the only chicken to doesn't seem to be happy. She doesn't want around with her neck sticking out, scratching for food. She just sits in one spot for long periods with her neck in, like she's trying not to be noticed. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG-9966.jpg
    IMG-9966.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 35
So sorry you are having trouble. Baby is so cute. I'm wondering if she could be sick? Have worms or mites? How are her poops? I have one that is lowest on the pecking order and she runs around by herself a lot but she does run around just away from the others. How much room do you have for each chicken? How is she eating? Does get pecked with drawn blood? If you have ample room for the chickens and she is not out foraging, I might suspect she may be sick??

That is definitely my concern... that she's sick. My back yard is very large, so there is plenty of space for her to enjoy alone. I'm not sure about her poop. She doesn't seem to be eating very much. Yesterday, I put her in a separate coop and gave her some scratch grains, which she ate. She didn't have to compete for those. I don't thinks she's getting pecked, just run off when others near. So, how do you diagnose and care for a sick chick? I have a feeling she's not going to last long if something doesn't change.

How old is Baby? Since she is too young to lay, is she eating starter/grower feed or layer feed with the others? You may want to follow her and check her poop.

How old is Baby? Since she is too young to lay, is she eating starter/grower feed or layer feed with the others? You may want to follow her and check her poop.
I think she's about 3 months. She was getting starter feed but it was kinda hard to be specific with her since there are so many older girls. But you make a good point. Maybe I need to keep her in the coop by herself with starter food.

Good idea. I would put her on grower feed for at least another 4 weeks or until she lays. This may be going overboard but if I was faced with that, I would add raw apple cider vinegar to her water. I would get some probiotics and vitamins for her too for a couple of weeks to see if that boosts her up. I haven't named my lowest chick yet (they're 10 weeks) but I think I will name her Baby! Love that name.

Oh one more question, how does her tummy feel? Does it feel normal or does it feel squishy? If it feels squishy like its full of water, that would not be a good sign, called water belly. If you find she does have a squishy tummy, look up how to treat water belly. I hope it's not that though.

Her posture looks as if she may be sick. The flock won't accept her if she's sick, so.... If she were my pullet, I'd put her, and the whole flock on amprolium for cocci (will NOT harm your healthy birds, but might make a world of difference for her). The packaging will have two dosage regimens listed, choose the one for severe outbreak. While you're at it, consider worming your entire flock at the same time; ring worm, tapeworm, cecal worms etc. The medicines work on different parasites, and work in a different manner from each other, so you can do both medications at the same time in their water. While wearing light gloves or using a white rag ruffle Baby's feathers and visually inspect her from her comb to the bottoms of her feet, look at everything; under the wings, at the base of the tail, at her vent. Examine the rag/gloves when you're done... if the dirt on them is moving, then she's got external parasites. Oil her feet and legs while you're at it, takes but a second to do, but kills scaly leg mites and a nice foot massage wins you some brownie points with her :love

Good idea. I would put her on grower feed for at least another 4 weeks or until she lays. This may be going overboard but if I was faced with that, I would add raw apple cider vinegar to her water. I would get some probiotics and vitamins for her too for a couple of weeks to see if that boosts her up. I haven't named my lowest chick yet (they're 10 weeks) but I think I will name her Baby! Love that name.
I'm glad I asked. I never would have thought about the maleffects of
Thank you for the good advice. I will try to get close and examine her more closely.

Her posture looks as if she may be sick. The flock won't accept her if she's sick, so.... If she were my pullet, I'd put her, and the whole flock on amprolium for cocci (will NOT harm your healthy birds, but might make a world of difference for her). The packaging will have two dosage regimens listed, choose the one for severe outbreak. While you're at it, consider worming your entire flock at the same time; ring worm, tapeworm, cecal worms etc. The medicines work on different parasites, and work in a different manner from each other, so you can do both medications at the same time in their water. While wearing light gloves or using a white rag ruffle Baby's feathers and visually inspect her from her comb to the bottoms of her feet, look at everything; under the wings, at the base of the tail, at her vent. Examine the rag/gloves when you're done... if the dirt on them is moving, then she's got external parasites. Oil her feet and legs while you're at it, takes but a second to do, but kills scaly leg mites and a nice foot massage wins you some brownie points with her :love
Thank you so much. This is very good advice. I want to see Baby thrive and be a happy egg layer.

Back
Top Bottom