Youngest Pullet Self-isolating

TJE

Chirping
Aug 14, 2017
Hello guys. I thank you so much for your info and advice. And I think both of you were spot on. So... I did the dummy move... I took my chick to the vet. Yes... I went that far. The total cost of the visit was $124 for a $20 Easter Egger. Anyway, I learned a lot from my costly visit. Here is the run-down:
1. She has fluid on her abdomen. He did not call it water belly. Would have to do a lot of costly tests to determine that. But her abdomen is extended pretty far and her muscle mass is light. It may be an impacted egg. It would cost too much to find out for sure.
2. I paid for a fecal exam and she does have parasites. Three kinds (cap something, round worms, and coccidia. He suggested I treat the whole flock with Safe-Guard and Corid from Tractor Supply. So I think both of you were right in your assessments.
3. The other thing he told me that I found invaluable is to utilize my local extension program. He said if I ever lose a chicken to take her to the extension for a complete necropsy. The cost is only $115 and the info that will yield about my flock can be important. He said when he worked for the local zoo, it cost hundreds of dollars to provide the same service for their chickens.
4. One more thing, the Doc determined that it may not be time to put her down just yet. He went into great detail about how the parasites may impact the fluid on her abdomen. Just watch her and make the decision myself when it is time.

So, to sum it all up, I let my enthusiasm (and emotions) for my new flock get the best of me and I actually paid someone to tell me what you told me for free. But now I know and I have the knowledge going forward. Also, I am confessing my vet visit only to you because I would probably get beat up by my family if I told them (and I really mean that...lol).

Thanks again for everything.

To be honest, I would probably bring mine to the vet also, hahaha, even though there is great advice on here, because it really could be several things and now you know. Just shows how much you love your chickens. Twelve weeks (3 mos) seems a little young to be an impacted egg?? but I could be way off on that, unless she is older than what you estimate. There is also advice on here on what to do for an impacted egg. But SO GLAD you found out exactly what is wrong. After all this, I hope she gives you beautiful eggs! Post pics after she get better.

ThatTeowonna

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
To be honest, I would probably bring mine to the vet also, hahaha, even though there is great advice on here, because it really could be several things and now you know. Just shows how much you love your chickens. Twelve weeks (3 mos) seems a little young to be an impacted egg?? but I could be way off on that, unless she is older than what you estimate. There is also advice on here on what to do for an impacted egg. But SO GLAD you found out exactly what is wrong. After all this, I hope she gives you beautiful eggs! Post pics after she get better.
I agree with EVERY SINGLE THING YOU SAID. Three months does seem young, but I didn’t get a hatch date from the seller... just a very rough estimate. But anyway, I hope she survives and do consider it money well spent, even if just for my education. Thanks again for everything.

ThatTeowonna

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
I'm so sorry! We were rooting for her so hard. Breaks my heart. Here is a pic of her namesake, I loved that name so I named this one Baby. Think I will go cry myself to sleep now. :hitThinking of you :hugs
So beautiful. What a honor. Thank you. Keep me updated on the beautiful girl.

Top Bottom