1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Your Best Rabbit Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Jamie_Dog_Trainer, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Help please [​IMG] I have made rabbit one other time, several weeks ago. It turned out really well. That recipe was braised. I'd like a to try a drier method of cookign this time, either grilling or roasting. Tips, recipes would be appreciated!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Here are some replies I got when I asked for rabbit recipes awhile back:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=387532

I also found a roasting guide for them. Twenty minutes uncovered at 400 degrees, baste generously and then 2 hours covered at 250 degrees (for a 2and a half lb rabbit). Tried this and it came out really nice.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    Are they young domestic rabbits or cottontails?

I've had really good luck with the young ones just lightly seasoning them and then cooking on the rotisserie or grill. I wouldn't want to cook an older one that way though - too tough.

4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    If it's domestic rabbit I have found that just about any recipe that works for chicken will work for rabbit, just cut the pieces a bit smaller.

Wild rabbit needs to be cooked long and slow or it will be tough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by