Your chicken story?

I started thinking about getting chickens around a year ago last spring. We looked into multiple coop suppliers, but none of them were quite right. That next spring, I found a local small family business that raised your chicks until they were 8 weeks. This was perfect for our busy family. Late that spring we hired a contracted to build our coop. It was like a dream come true. By the start of july, we were driving to go pickup our chickens. Our 4 girls, Daisy, Klya-Hen, Hazel, and Ginny became part of the family. We gave them treats, watched them carefully as they free-ranged in the afternoon, thanked them personally for their eggs, and gave the ones who were not yet laying pep talks. They are so cute, funny, and plain good therapy. We love them so much!

Chickens sure are a joy to keep. I was raised around poultry for eggs and meat, but didn't get back into quail and chickens until much later in life. I remember being so excited building our first coop, waiting on the chicks to arrive and holding the tiny fluff balls, watching them grow. Keeping chickens are an experience everyone should have. :)

i’m fairly new also- i got my three girls for the first time this year, may 24th! they were a couple weeks old when i got them. watching them grow was so great. we turned an old shed into their coop, plenty big for the three of them (the coop is 7x10) so i’m using that as an excuse to get more and fill it up! but in september i got two more silkie babies, who were only a couple days old at the time. i couldn’t believe how tiny they were! they both turned out to be cockerels but i love them nonetheless, and don’t have the heart to rehome them or split them up, they grew up in the house getting cuddles almost every night when they were babies and it turned them into the sweetest, cuddliest little angels. my plan is to make a separate coop and run for them in the spring and possibly get them some bantam ladies later on

We had chickens and Mallards when I was a kid, and I wish I had paid more attention to taking care of them; Dad was their primary caretaker.

I wanted fresh eggs when I decided to get three hens from a 4-H'er. I left with four, which pretty much explains how I now have 19 hens, a rooster, 11 runner ducks and a pair of American Buff geese. One hen is a house chicken after failing to integrate into any of my too-many coops.

My first four were a Rhode Island Red, a Plymouth Barred Rock a Buff Opington and a Sicilian Buttercup. A mink massacred three of them, but the Orp survives as the chicken queen, and I learned my lesson about ALWAYS closing the coop doors.

Every new breed is my favorite - at least for a while. The cutest is a red frizzle Cochin Bantam, whose name is Gabby because she always has a comment about everything. The friendliest outdoors is Bronwyn, a Speckled Sussex who likes to "help" with all my projects. Dottie, the house chicken, is clearly the most spoiled. Every one is a unique individual.

Chickens sure are a joy to keep. I was raised around poultry for eggs and meat, but didn't get back into quail and chickens until much later in life. I remember being so excited building our first coop, waiting on the chicks to arrive and holding the tiny fluff balls, watching them grow. Keeping chickens are an experience everyone should have. :)
Totally agree!

i’m fairly new also- i got my three girls for the first time this year, may 24th! they were a couple weeks old when i got them. watching them grow was so great. we turned an old shed into their coop, plenty big for the three of them (the coop is 7x10) so i’m using that as an excuse to get more and fill it up! but in september i got two more silkie babies, who were only a couple days old at the time. i couldn’t believe how tiny they were! they both turned out to be cockerels but i love them nonetheless, and don’t have the heart to rehome them or split them up, they grew up in the house getting cuddles almost every night when they were babies and it turned them into the sweetest, cuddliest little angels. my plan is to make a separate coop and run for them in the spring and possibly get them some bantam ladies later on
Aww! I would feel the same way if my girls turned out to be roosters.

We had chickens and Mallards when I was a kid, and I wish I had paid more attention to taking care of them; Dad was their primary caretaker.

I wanted fresh eggs when I decided to get three hens from a 4-H'er. I left with four, which pretty much explains how I now have 19 hens, a rooster, 11 runner ducks and a pair of American Buff geese. One hen is a house chicken after failing to integrate into any of my too-many coops.

My first four were a Rhode Island Red, a Plymouth Barred Rock a Buff Opington and a Sicilian Buttercup. A mink massacred three of them, but the Orp survives as the chicken queen, and I learned my lesson about ALWAYS closing the coop doors.

Every new breed is my favorite - at least for a while. The cutest is a red frizzle Cochin Bantam, whose name is Gabby because she always has a comment about everything. The friendliest outdoors is Bronwyn, a Speckled Sussex who likes to "help" with all my projects. Dottie, the house chicken, is clearly the most spoiled. Every one is a unique individual.
Mine like to "help" too. 😂

Back
Top Bottom