Your cost to raise meat rabbits

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
How much does it cost you to raise a litter of meat rabbits to butcher? How did you figure it up? Did you include just Food, water, hay, & time? Or did you add in cages, nest boxes, etc. too?

For 17 kits I currently have, I figured I have gone through $67 worth of feed. This feed also is given to the 4 breeders. Here is what I came up with:
200# feed/21 rabbits=9.52lb.
$67 in feed/200# total = .335/lb
9.52lb of feed x .335 = $3.18 in feed per rabbit.

I figured my time is worth $12/hr. piddling around my farm. At 5 min day for 9 weeks =$3. Having an automatic waterer and feeder helps out a lot with this.
So in total, my grow outs come to approximately $6.18ea at 9 week for a 5lb+ rabbit. I don't try to get rich off of my farm, but having a hobby that is self sustaining makes things more enjoyable. I sell my rabbits for $20/ea, and have plenty for my family as well.

What a good question! I don't have answers for my mini farm yet but should soon. What equipment to include kinds of depends on your situation - in my case, I bought a cage system used for a great price and know I can sell it again without a loss so I probably wouldn't include it. If I'd bought a new system, I'd probably include just the expected instant depreciation cost of it turning "used", if that makes sense.

here are a few grow outs. NZW and NZW x Rex

Attachments

• Feeder rabbits 9-9.jpg
    Feeder rabbits 9-9.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom