Your experience with Maran eggs

The only maran song that I sing is "Please no more roos." I had a pretty good hatch rate the only time I tried with marans 4/6. I had a hard time candling until I got a 200 lumen flashlight. That does wonders, even with speckled coturnix eggs. Good Luck!

Hi,
i've had trouble with lower rates on my BCM eggs. I was going 40-45% humidity days 1-18 and 65% day 18 to hatch. They weren't drying down enough and I was having chicks drown.

This last batch of eggs I set I tried it with no water in the incubator until day 19. Stopped turning on day 18 Raised the humidity to 45% on day 19 and then to 65% on day 20, before any pips appeared.
Had 22 out of 24 hatch, no problem. The two eggs that didn't hatch quit before day 18 but I couldn't tell when I candled them.

Best of luck on hatching your BCM eggs.
smile.png

Carolyn

My first marans hatch i only got 2 out of 16 that hatched. They were shipped eggs though, and i think some of them might have frozen in shipping.

My second batch set 26 of them, and so far have had to toss out 8 for no development or blood rings.

I use a Coleman flashlight from walmart. it is a 140 lumens light. It was $26 and works good for the darker eggs.

I have never heard of sanding the eggs. To me that sounds like extra stress on the eggs. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom