Your Experience with Privett Hatchery?

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I'm probably going to order from Privett Hatchery (yes, that is how it is spelled) next spring. I have heard they have better quality birds than most hatcheries.

I'm specifically looking for info on their Heritage RIRs, silkies, bantam Barred Plymouth Rocks, and their bantam Ameraucanas (or are they EEs?). But I would love to hear about any breeds you got!

Privett Hatchery link: http://www.privetthatchery.com/home/default.aspx?type=1&Session=78b356e62c2048709c78d74288f4f9a6

I have heritage rir's, welsummers, white leghorns, blue wyandottes, cuckoo marans, standard size ee's, gold sexlinks, & probably some other breeds too from privett hatchery that im not remembering. The heritage rir's are good sized friendly birds with dark red feather color, & several go broody & hatch chicks every year. My only complaint with the rirs is they dont lay as well as i expected. All breeds have been very healthy. Ive been very satisfied with birds from privett hatchery and will continue to buy birds from them.

I have heritage rir's, welsummers, white leghorns, blue wyandottes, cuckoo marans, standard size ee's, gold sexlinks, & probably some other breeds too from privett hatchery that im not remembering. The heritage rir's are good sized friendly birds with dark red feather color, & several go broody & hatch chicks every year. My only complaint with the rirs is they dont lay as well as i expected. All breeds have been very healthy. Ive been very satisfied with birds from privett hatchery and will continue to buy birds from them.
I have heard that the heritage RIRs don't lay as well, but I am okay with that. Thank you!

I had heard from someone having issues with aggressiveness from the barred rocks there. Apparently it didn't show in BRs from other hatcheries. That's all the help I can offer lol

I had heard from someone having issues with aggressiveness from the barred rocks there. Apparently it didn't show in BRs from other hatcheries. That's all the help I can offer lol
Funny you should mention this. I wanted Barrred Rocks specifically because I researched and read that they were docile and friendly. My 3 from Privett hatchery are highly stressed and run from me like loons even though I hand raised them from 5 day old chicks. Also I got 3 chicks from Privett that were supposed to be Speckled Sussex and none of them were. Full disclosure is that I got them from a feed store who had ordered from Privett Hatchery so I don't know if that makes a difference but that is my experience nonetheless.

Funny you should mention this. I wanted Barrred Rocks specifically because I researched and read that they were docile and friendly. My 3 from Privett hatchery are highly stressed and run from me like loons even though I hand raised them from 5 day old chicks. Also I got 3 chicks from Privett that were supposed to be Speckled Sussex and none of them were. Full disclosure is that I got them from a feed store who had ordered from Privett Hatchery so I don't know if that makes a difference but that is my experience nonetheless.
My friends' barred rock, purchased from MyPetChicken, is one of their friendliest birds. Loves to cuddle and will fall asleep on your arm. I think that it's a thing with Privett.

I have not ordered directly from Privett, but my local feed store gets chicks from there. I have a blue wyandotte, a rhode island red, some buff orpingtons, and 2 bantam "americanas" (they are definitely EEs) from them. My BW is a great, but a little aggressive, but that has been my experience with non Privett wyandottes. I love my RIR, she is one of the friendliest chickens I have. The buffs are okay. The Bantam EEs are great. I just love getting their little green eggs! One of them is even lavender colored instead of the normal colors LF EEs are.

Back
Top Bottom