Your Homemade Solutions Please

I just got this put together today, We have the Culligan setup at work and I just asked the guy if he had any i could have. They're $7.50 to buy but this one had a scuff on the side so I guess they just give those away. So the 5 Gallon bottle plus $2.44 Oil pan equals new Waterer! I poked a small hole near the bottom and the cap it comes with creates a vacuum to keep it from overflowing. Works Beautifully!

9863_080700_143800.jpg

It's very hot here in n. central Texas, so I have an ice cube tray I freeze water in and I add it to the chickens' metal waterer at midday. We also put up extra screen on top of the run that filters out some sun. Additionally, we put a one-head mister on the side of the run to cool them off as needed. We've also put a larger mister system over the area by the run where we sit to visit with the chickens. It keeps up cool and sends more cool mist into the run. I also used an old cat box (thoroughly cleaned) as a nesting box. Worked great.

I have a slew of extra 1 gal waterers that I fill 3/4 full and freeze in the deep freeze. I fill them and put them out so they thaw slowly. I've just ventured into using a 5 gal and lid from Home Depot: I drill a small hole at the bottom of the bucket- size of wine cork. Bought larger saucer from plant department to set bucket into, must be 2" or deeper. Cork hole, fill bucket, put lid on tight, uncork while it sits in saucer- voila! BIG waterer.

I put a frozen 3 quart juice bottle inside to act as cooler so it's cold all day!

Quote:
Sorry it goes to an angled piece of pvc that my husband cut so they could eat out of the top. It works really good and holds enough feed to last at least 5 days (never tested it any longer) for my 15 large breed chickens. I am getting more chickens next year and I am going to try to build another one that I can fill from outside the coop room.

I really like the 5 gallon culligan bottle and the oil pan waterer idea I could use one of those in my run.

@Sunflower - I'd say it's about one dime sized hole where you want the top of the water in the pan to reach(inch or two from the bottom), I just used a drill for it and only did one hole cause I have to cover it with my finger when I fill the bottle. It's simple to fill, just uncap the rubber cap on top, plug hole, filler up, replace cap, and once the water in the pan reaches the point where the hole is it will stop on its own.

Back
Top Bottom