Your Lifestyle?

I am a ranch-hand by day, & come home to 7 dogs,3 mini horses, almost 100 chickens,turkeys,& pheasants, 2 cocatiels trying to breed for the first time, & a wonderful wife. We have a small farm in the foothills of the Boston Mnt. range, in the Ozark Mnt. We butcher alot of our own meat, but we have mainly pets here. Yes, I wear name brands! Carhardt, Dickie, Wrangler, & Redwings! How much more namebrand can you get?
thumbsup.gif

(ranch-hand by day..... is that redneck super hero talk?)

Hmm. Lets see. Live with my 17 year old, dogs and a couple of cats in a 1800s house on the edge of a very small town.
I have four older children that visit as they can and we are gone about every other weekend to my parents place in the country. Have 5 living siblings and many nieces/nephews.We are a close family.
TRYING to escape from town!!!
I am a read-a-holic and always scouting out garage sales and second hand for books.
I am WAY more introverted in person than on the computer and outside of family, keep to myself a lot.
We live paycheck to paycheck pretty much but most of the time I have never FELT poor.

Last edited:
DH and I live a very solitary life, by choice.
When he's not working (less than a year and he can retire
yippiechickie.gif
) we're on this 80 acre farm that's been in his family for many generations. I medically retired last year.
We hope to find a way to do some traveling after he retires.
Since my DH works the night shift, we live our lives after dark for the most part. That puts us out of sync with 99% of our friends and acquaintances, but it's what we prefer.

Last edited:
I would love to go off grid. I'm in IT, but I don't have all the toys...I could probably afford them if I didn't have two children, four horses, thirty-some chickens, 10 ducks, ???cats and two dogs. We live paycheck to paycheck and I'd love to be more self-sufficient, but work gets in the way of all that other work
lau.gif
My mom loves to thrift shop, so the boys have more clothes than we know what to do with(thank goodness); she'll even pick some up for me and DH. I am going for my Master's so time and money are even tighter, but it will be worth it in the end. I really need to pay somebody to fix up some of this stuff around here! LOL I can do it, I either don't have the time, or can't afford the materials. Freecycle doesn't always have what you need when you need it. Hence...school. I would like it to be a little easier on us financially, and I think it is important to teach my boys that not everything has to come from a store.

We've been married 11 years as of Saturday, we never took our honeymoon, and haven't vacationed in as long. Honestly, it would be a tall order to ask anyone to watch all of our animals while we went away, but maybe someday...

We're on 4.25 acres, so never a dull moment! I wish I had more time to enjoy it all... I think it is an investment in more that a real estate type of way. Land is very important to me, more than vacations, flat screen tv, brand new flashy cars; I do want to retire someday, so i look for bigger and better careerwise.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well your house may surprise you.... we had a cottage which raised a family with two children prior to us which was just 640 square feet.... and when we listed it (we waited on listing the house in the city because we thought the cottage would take forever to sell) it has sold and closed withing 3 weeks!!! our house in the city took about 7 weeks from listing to closing..... we now live about 5 minutes from the old cottage! (is only had .5 acre)

There is someone for every house !

Last edited:
live paycheck to paycheck. I'm a part time artist , Hubby is a union organizer/lineman. He's the president of his Local.We have one daughter aged 28 a son in law we sometimes like and 3 grandchildren. My 16 yr old Lhasa Apso , A lionhead bunny and a mess of chickens and 5 ducks. I'm a pagan and we celebrate yule and Christmas. I like to knit and crochet . Hubby and I have been married for 29 yrs in March and we still love hanging out together. The only name brand I wear is my applebottom jeans and I wear them till they have holes in them and past that.
I am flirting with veganism now for health reasons. I belong to a gym although I don't go as much as I should. My favorite exercise is paintball and volleyball and in the summer you can find me in my kayak.
Oh and I am a former world of warcraft addict. I still play once in a while.
And i'm a democrat!
forgot to add we live in a small town that my family has lived in since the 1600's well half of them the other half have been here since they came over the bearing strait.We tore down the house 5 yrs ago and built a bigger one. And still haven't finished it.It's a work in progress. We have almost an acre but we live in front of a swamp so all the woods in back are free if you don't mind the mosquito's

Last edited:
Mom of 3 boys work part time at elementary school, but for the most part a stay at home mom. Live in a quiet town that used to be mostly dairy farms but not anymore. Just your basic small town family, most of our time is spent carting children around. We try to live a healthy lifestyle but we are definitely on the grid. We compost and grow a lot of food, but we get most of our food from grocery store.
A lot of our family lives in our town and we spend a lot of time together.

---------------------------------------
I am in Ontario,love this site...
moved out of the city 8yrs ago to only an acre but surrounded by miles of farmers fields. Doubt there will be an interest here to build more houses and populate this area for a LONG time. We are on an escarpment and have a view to die for. Married, 45, hubby a hunky 52, both high stress professional jobs.... 1 car, 1 truck. Hubby had 2 kids, we raised them (19,23) and had our own 5 yrs ago who's a precocious kindergartener. The plan was to give the kids an appreciation for a simpler life and the outdoors. We have bonfires every weekend in the summer and watch the sunset. We travel to work together at the crack of dawn to arrive in the city dang early.

We just set up our first aquarium,have 1 10yr old cat, 6 papmpered hens(various breeds). We snowmobile , swim(have a pool) treat our house like a cottage really. We have changed 75% of this bungalow since we moved in. This summer is a landscaping project in front that I invisioned the day the real estate agent first showed us this house. It seemed to take forever to get the BIG projects done to reach the point that we could add new trees, flowerbeds... because we back onto farmers fields we are quite forested too. Pines as big as apartment buildings. We did everything from a concrete walkway, to electrical oursleves. Hubby and 19yr old son are a dreamboat handymen! In the works for 2010 .... putting up a permanent fence around a grassy treed run for the chickens, locating a few cochin bantan hens. I think reading Fast Food Nation and seeing Food Inc was impactful on our decision to try out raising chickens...we watched a neighbour do it for many years and our 5yr old's love of visiting them sealed the deal. We hope to retire one day - I think we changed it from plan to ....to hope to when the yr old was born- and sell this house for less house and more land..... a place where we can have a rooster, a goose....who knows. It might be more like ... when 19yr old moves out that leaves only us and the "baby" so we could try a the smaller house idea then and work until we push up daisies.

Pay check to paycheck, live 6 miles out of town next to a swamp on 5 acres.
5 year old girl child, DH and I, 2 stallions, 1 mare, 1 Hereford Bull, 3 cow/calf pairs, 3 old dogs, 1 young dog, 2 barn cats, about 40 something chickens.

We wear clothes till they fall apart, Wrangler and Carhart are name brand for us. We try to be thrifty, like everyone else, hard times have hit us in the $ department. Both of us work full time and side jobs when we can get them.

We have a freezer full of home grown steer and pork, venison, and some catfish we bought through a friend.
Eggs from the chickens, sell extra roos and shopping wise, coupons and sales only, buy in bulk when it is a good deal and store it.

I drive an F 350 (paid for), Dh drives a Toyota T100 (paid for) because he works farther away than I do. Luckily, at the end of the month, he is being promoted to foreman and will have a company truck and gas card so I will drive the Toyota.

The only bills we have now are electric, internet, cell phone, mortgage and bankruptcy payment (from construction company going under).

We don't go anywhere, eat out maybe once a month (if were lucky), stay home and make ends meet.

I live at home with my parents and older brother on 0.89 acres. I drive a blazer that belonged to my grandpa before he passed away a year ago, Tuesday. I dont currently have a job and I am going to school full time, majoring in Poultry Science.

I live in a pretty small town. Small as in 42,000 people of course. I consider it small because its smack dab in the middle of two 200,000+ people cities and it takes less than 3 minutes to drive through. Its all dairies and almond orchards out here, with the occasional patch of cherries, walnuts, and apples. Drive North or South for 45 minutes and you wont find anyone who knows where Ceres, CA is.
lol.png

I have 8 chickens, 2 ducks, 3 goats, 15 or so fish, a cockatoo, 2 geckos, 10 mice, 8 snakes and 2 dogs.

I'm a casual, laid back guy that doesnt care what he wears, LOL. As long as Im comfortable, Im good. Im a good kid, not your bad boy type at all. I've never smoked, never drank, never touched a drug and all of that good stuff. I love to garden and can. Hmm.... I feel like Im on EHarmony, LOL!

Im just a young guy working towards a career to have a better future.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom