your opinion on a barred rock chick please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinksky, Sep 22, 2009.

1. pinksky

pinksky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    So I made the mistake of trying out the old wives tale of holding a chick upside down by it's legs to determine gender. My barred rock chick was the only one that struggled. Now I'm fearing that it's head spot looks more like a boy's head spot... what do you think? Any opinions would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I think is girl.Dark legs and feathers

3. ChickenLittle09

ChickenLittle09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    California
    My BR looked very similar at that age. I also tried the "tip the bird over" test and my chick did not struggle. It's been about three weeks and I can see that he is a..he. So, not sure if that test really works. [​IMG] Your little one is sweet!

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Legs are really too dark, even for a barred rock pullet, the base color should still be yellow.

5. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Can't say what gender it is, but she/he sure is cute. I love Barred Rocks!!!

6. pinksky

Sep 7, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    Thanks for the replies!

Dustin,
    If not barred rock, what? Maybe just a mutt of some sort?

7. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Dark legs, dark feathers... looks like a pullet. I've hatched over 40 BR since May. I got them from 3 different states and they can look rather diverse! I have some 9 week old BR pullets right now that are very dark. [​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Yes, and appears to be a female.

9. pinksky

Sep 7, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    It doesn't bother me that she's a mutt...I just hope she really turns out to be a girl. I think her/his coloring looks a bit darker in the photos.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think it's probably a BR (is the comb single?)cockerel. The headspot is typical of BR cockerels with all the "frosting" across the back of the head. The legs are typical pinkish baby legs of a chick that age. They don't start out yellow. However, if that is a brown tint I'm seeing on the wing bows, then it's a cross with a BR or other barred breed as the sire.
    The only thing about this one that says female to me is the tail growing. Pullets get their tails by the end of week one and boys usually take longer. If it's a cross, all bets are off on the sexing rules, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by