Your opinion on breed to get...

grandmaof5

Songster
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Central N.S.
I thought I had my mind made up; then DH (city boy that he is)told me he doesn't like white chickens. So now I need to re-think. So, here are my criteria, folks. DH says brown chickens. I prefer a heritage breed, and one that is rare in Canada (or North America). I'd like a dual purpose breed; not necessarily "one egg everyday" girl. We live at 45 degrees north latitude and our winters can get very cold (-20 C for weeks on end) so not fragile types. We'll have only hens for the first while, no cockerels.

So now I'm open for all opinions...

What i did when i couldnt chose was get a few pairs of different colors. They look so good together. For cold winters you want to stay away from the girls with big single combs. I like the Silver Lace Wyandotte, the Buff Orpingtons, the Black Aussies and everyone should always have a couple of Easter Egg chickens for the blue and green eggs. You can also go look at chickens on a website and see which ones appeal to you.
Quote:

ging3rhoffman, I love your idea, however, we are planning on getting only 4 pullets.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom