Your Opinion: What's The Very Best Backyard Duck Breed?

eggsamillion

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
I think for most people who live in an urban or suburban area, and who would like to have a duck or three basically as pets, these would be the primary considerations (in no particular order):

- Not excessively loud
- Can get along with chickens
- Doesn't require actual pond to be healthy/happy
- Isn't naturally skittish or flighty
- Doesn't fly well enough to leave a securely fenced yard
- Pretty to look at
-Females are good layers
- Tends toward friendliness with humans
-Can be happy with only one other duck pal rather than a flock of ducks, or perhaps even with chickens

So my question to smart duck enthusiasts is this: using the above considerations, if you could only recommend one or perhaps two duck varieties to potential backyard duck owners, what would you recommend? Obviously, no breed will have all of these traits, but some have more than others. What are they?

Thanks!

I'm new to them but I love the Saxony ducks. Depending on where you live they might be hard to get. Very pretty, not very loud and are fine with my chickens.

Well ducks are kinda like goats. You really need at least 2. I really like my Welsh Harlequins. Not flighty, lays year round and as much if not more than most chickens, quite, will brood there young, Drake and hens are very attractive, likes human contact if raised by hand. Will not fly no more 1ft off ground. And the question should be, will my chickens get along with my ducks. My WH's will completely ignore my chickens, it the chickens that are the trouble makers. I use just a 25gal tub I got at TSC, just change the water twice a week and they're good.

Last edited:
Also, Cayugas are considered the quietest breed of duck besides for muscovies.

Well ducks are kinda like goats. You really need at least 2. I really like my Welsh Harlequins. Not flighty, lays year round and as much if not more than most chickens, quite, will brood there young, Drake and hens are very attractive, likes human contact if raised by hand. Will not fly no more 1ft off ground. And the question should be, will my chickens get along with my ducks. My WH's will completely ignore my chickens, it the chickens that are the trouble makers. I use just a 25gal tub I got at TSC, just change the water twice a week and they're good.

Ditto! Awesome ducks!

We have khaki, mallard, and the welsh. We are adding saxony and silver appleyard this year.

Lovely birds. I miss Welshies. Currently I have Rouens and Pekins. May have to add a few Welshies to my flock.

well if you want some thing that isnt loud does not fly good pretty to looks at likes people does not need a pond and can be happy with just one other duck muscovy is the way to go they dont lay many egg but they are good setters

Back
Top Bottom