your opinions on air conditioning just at night vs all day

We tried to leave our home open during the early morning and by about 1 or so have to turn on the AC. If it is cool at night I will open the house back up but if not I leave the AC on. I need it cooler to sleep. Where we live right now we have no large trees around the house so we get full sun all day and it can be pretty oppressive. We do live on top of a ridge so if there is a breeze, which is most of the time, it is helpful in keeping the temps comfortable.

Our bill runs about $140 - $150 a month but we are on a rural electric cooperative and they are pretty pricey. Last year when I would open the house up all day and turn the AC on at night the bill was running close to $175 so no more of that. Personally I prefer no AC, grew up without it. Used to have an attic fan. This doublewide has no attic due to the roof pitch so we can't do that. Once my trees start growing it will be a big improvement. Where we moved from I planted trees and in 6 years I had so much shade I left the AC off most of the time and ran fans. I sure do miss my trees.

Of course I also am the type who leaves a bedroom window open at night all winter long because I sleep alot better. Have done this since childhood.

We leave our AC off for as long as we can sleep comfortably at night but once past that point we leave it on and vary the temperature. We have a programmable thermostat and it raises the temp during the day when we are at work and brings it back down at night. There is nobody home during the day except the dogs and they said they don't mind the higher temp one bit.
smile.png
For saving energy/money the biggest savings we get is off the hot water heater. I have that on a timer and it is only heating water 4 hours a day, 2 hours in the morning and 2 at night.

Back
Top Bottom