Your opinions?

homo sapien mothers are the only mamal who has love for their offspring? how can you watch a mother playin with her pupppies at 6weeks and not think mothers love? sad

Last edited:
Most breeders have already forcibly weaned puppies from the dam by 4 to 5 weeks. Even though I don't do this, I still have not noticed bitches grieving for puppies.

I'm sure you mean ONE of the founders of Take the Lead, right? I have been a donor to that organization just about since it's inception. It's a wonderful group that does so much super work. I proudly wear my Take The Lead pin when I'm showing my dogs.

http://takethelead.org/board-of-trustees/
breeders also line breed I think history with royal families shows incest is not healthy

Hey guys!
I'm asking these questions because I like to hear both sides opinions which helps me learn more. I hope I'm not breaking any rules, I couldn't find the rules, so I apologize in advance.
I'm curious about a few things about breeding dogs.
What do you think about:
1. Breeding a dog to fill out her shape so she is more show ring fit?
You should not breed a dog unless you are sure you have homes for all the puppies. There are so many unwanted dogs and thousands are destroyed each year that just needed a good home.
2. Breeding her just so she has the experience?
No. This is of no benefit to the dog or you. Dogs do not crave to have puppies like humans want children to care for.
3. Because you want to carry your dogs personality on so you can have a dog close to your dog that has died?
And what about all the other puppies the dog has in the litter? What will happen to them? If you purchase a puppy of the same breed and from a good breeder, and raise it the same way as your other dog, its personality will be similar to your dog. Also puppies will not have the same personality as your dog as much depends on genetics from the male dog too and the environment the dog is raised in. Human children are not always have the same personality as their mother!
4. Because you want to see what kind of dogs will come out of the mix of different breeds?
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!! You are just adding more unwanted dogs into the population. Dogs are not some experimental interesting thing to breed. Each puppy is your responsibility to care for and needs a good home ..........for life!
I really just want to hear your opinions so you can educate me and maybe others on here.
Thank you!! ( P.s. I don't care if you are a dog expert or not I'd love to hear every bodies opinions)
I am no dog expert, but I own a small very much loved dog. I also work at a dog rescue centre and see the effects of people breeding their dogs with no though to the future of the puppies. Really no one need to breed dogs for many years as there are so so so many lovely friendly dogs all needing homes already.

Edited to say: I don't agree with any of these reasons to breed by the way. I've just heard and seen people do these things.

'Love' is a human emotion.
How can be know for sure? I studied animal behaviour as part of my zoology degree, and I also have worked in many zoos and animal related work.

We have no way of knowing for sure what goes on inside the mind of an animal.....same way we never really know what is in the mind of another person.

I have seen many animals that show the characteristics of 'love', and many humans that do not.

At one zoo I worked at we had a particular pair of parrots. They had been together many years and raised many chicks. Sadly the female died and the male bird was left alone. Despite many attempts, he would never accept another mate. He also started feather plucking and lost all interest in play. He also sadly died several months later.

I was luck to work in Thailand at a Gibbon Rehabilitation organisation. These apes form very strong pairs who's life style is very similar to humans. The pair will make a small family together, and as the young reach breeding age they will leave the group to find a mate. The bond between the mother and father gibbon is so strong, they have jealousy, anger, everything like humans have. They also mate for life. Usually one dies the remaining animal will find a new mate. Most humans will do so too.

Anyone can see a pet dog will love its family or owner if they have a strong bond. The joy, excitement and trust that dog shows in its human companions is surly similar to what human 'love' is. A dog may even defend its owner from attack, risking its own life.

Humans are not as 'superior' to animals and unique form them as some people would take comfort to believe.

How I take that phrase, "Love is a human emotion" is that OUR concept of love is human. Animals can feel love, and pain, and sadness, but do they feel it the same way and for the same reasons we do? Very debatable.

Complete side track here: I am incredibly saddened that I saw the word "babbies" and it wasn't being used in an ironic manner. People keep saying how they're proud to be American, but they can't be bothered to speak or write the language properly.

How I take that phrase, "Love is a human emotion" is that OUR concept of love is human. Animals can feel love, and pain, and sadness, but do they feel it the same way and for the same reasons we do? Very debatable.
Complete side track here: I am incredibly saddened that I saw the word "babbies" and it wasn't being used in an ironic manner. People keep saying how they're proud to be American, but they can't be bothered to speak or write the language properly.
LOL! I noticed that too.

Well I have been breeding dogs for over 40 years I have about 2 litters a year. My kennel Stonybrook has over 80 best in show wins.my late parnter Mike was founder of Take The Lead. It a shame you feel your mothers don't get upset when their babbies are taken away. I think ANY living creature of some intellagnce grives the lost of babbies.
When the puppies go to their new homes, sometimes the mom may, through instinct look briefly for the puppy, but very shortly she has forgotten about that one, and gone on to take care of the remaining puppies.

People keep up with their kids throughout their lives. Dogs do not. Once they leave the litter, the puppies soon forget about mom and mom likewise. What the mother dog does at the moment of having the puppies through about 8 to 10 weeks or so is natural instinct. Thats really all.

If they were like humans, mom and dad would keep in touch with all their puppies their whole lives.

Back
Top Bottom