Your own personal touch, what did you use?

we have been show dog breeders for decades, just retired from the breeding aspect to have more time for the grandkids, so think will have an artist friend paint chickens riding on dogs.... have already started collecting some neat ornamental things for the coop and around the run, but DH has not started construction yet, first was too hot, now too rainy and still too hot....:<( so in the meantime, I keep colleting decorating stuff---- luv so many of the ones I see on this site!!!!! great ideas....:<)

OMG, you guys are amazingly creative
lol.png
What fun!

In our household, it's my husband who's the one pushing for any structure in the yard to be pretty as well as functional!
No persuasion necessary.
cool.png

The kicker came when I came back from a business trip last month:
He had taken down the kitchen-towel privacy curtains I had put over the nest boxes and replaced them with...(drum roll...) Ralph Lauren fancy curtain fabric samples!
lau.gif

He'd found a fabric sample book at a 2nd hand store and immediately thought about redecorating the coop!
I am ONE lucky chicken-lady!
big_smile.png

Quote:
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

'Functional' is the by-word here. If we went for art the neighbours would fall over laughing and expect me to buy them beer for a month to regain face. Our main coop is better than some of the homes around here. Sorry if that seems to trash up the yard!

The next coop will be even simpler. Raised earth floor, straw roof, plastic chicken wire wall on three sides and a back wall made from tree trunks set stockade style against some boundary trees. The focus will be on what we have learned turkeys want in the way of comfort. The poults live under a mozzie net umbrella on the back porch and garden lawn for several weeks and join mother in another coop for a while after that. Our art is tropical fruit and decorative trees that we are planting for food and shade. Any architectural creation would be lost from view in time and the termites just wouldn't appreciate it anyway.
smile.png

We kept it pretty simple. Just some paint and trim and a decorative star. We are still going to add some landscaping around the run and put up some branches for them to hang out on in the run.

56833_coop_196.jpg

Quote:
That's nice, neat, spot on. The coop would be too hot in our climate but probably just right where you are. The chicken wire is just right too.

Some poles for roosting would definitely go down well with the residents.

I just took the pics today so I could post here LOL.
Here is a pic of the front of my new coop
39403_dsc00650.jpg

I even put a tiny hanging swing in the run for them
39403_dsc00677.jpg

This sign is about all we have lol I'm just too lazy to decorate. We are moving our coop soon (the building in the picture is no longer the coop, we have a dedicated building for the chickens now) and I can decorate it then.

sign.jpg

Back
Top Bottom