Your own personal touch, what did you use?

Ema

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
N. Ontario CANADA
As the construction on our chicken coop nears the end I told my husband I wanted to paint the wood in the coop and add a few personal touches. I have a couple rooster / hen plaques I want to hang on the outside of the coop. I also want to give my coop a name and make a small wall plaque for it. A nice basket with a washable cloth cover for the inside to gather my eggs and a few other things.
My hubby on the other hand says painting it wouldn't be a big deal but to add decorations to a coop well that is just useless. But I think it would make it more welcoming and nicer, and I also told him I would like to get the chickens a few of the kids old toys to put in there to stand on and run through, like my daughters old wheeled red car that is missing all the doors and has a flat top. I think it would look cute. I now different people decorate their pens different ways. I want to show him I am not the only one who has or wants a decorated coop and spoils the chickens. What have you incorporated in your coop??

Last edited:
It is work to keep the dust and poop off items you place in their coop! Could be they just do not appreciate the finer things..
lol.png

One of my coops is a cabin and I hung a plaque by the door that was given to me by my sister. It says: Be still and know that I am God. Some days before I go into that noisy coop I need a moment to pause......
Seriously you need the coop to be free of objects you will trip over and take up needed floor space. Roosts are much nicer for them to perch on.

I put a ladder from a swimming pool in mine so it gives added roost room!
I also plan to paint it!
I have been looking for signs and ideas for my duck coops decorations!
My neighbor said I should paint a big flower on the coop door so it will look pretty. Her view from her kitchen window is my coop!

I painted the outside, but not the inside. I also painted the nest boxes with left over paint samples to protect the wood a little.

I'm boring, I know. I don't care for clutter though.

22588_after.jpg

I LOVE the stained glass idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tarpaper?
tongue.png

At this point, nothing. At some distant point in the future, the coop will have half-log siding put on it, and then I will probably paint a sign to hang on it.

big_smile.png
of course you have to decorate your coop! I dont know about large objects inside, as the previous posters said though....mine is almost finished, and I put an old beat up childs garden bench next to their pop door as a decoration and for them to sit on. They havent yet! But even if they do, it was on its way out anyway....I also put an old door wreath on the people door and a small American flag stuck in it for the holiday. My son is making me a Fresh Eggs sign as well.
wink.png

I was goign to put the large items on the outside like in their run, so when they are chillin...lol...I was more saying for the coop walls, or the exterior walls...lol...I love the stained glass idea too, I have always been a fan of stained galss, still waiting for the 3 X 2 decorative butterfly made from stained glass that my hubby told me would buy me as a gift form one of the stores here in town. But I think I would put it my room...lol...I just luv it!!

Quote:
Awesome coop/ run....that chicken looks super happy!! and I really like your signs good job!!!! I am going to show this thread to hubby when he gets back from work. :-D

Back
Top Bottom