Your roos – good or bad? *Updated Chart on Page 15*

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I'd like to see how many people are happy with their boy, and why. I'd also like to see if there is a trend toward mean roos or good ones or if it's about even.

I guess I'll start:

Name: Mr. Incredible
Breed: Buff Orpington
Disposition toward humans: Shy; he doesn't like being held, but he has never attacked anyone.
Disposition toward the girls: Good; he follows them around and calls them over when he finds a treat.

I was really worried after hearing about so many stories about mean BO roos and that a lot of people seemed to think that handling cockerels a lot as chicks sometimes actually made them more likely to end up nasty. But Mr. Incredible (at least, so far) has been a very good boy and has never tried to attack anyone. He's a bit shy around people and doesn't like to be held, but he loves his girls and takes wonderful care of them. I hope he lives a long time!

P.S. If I put this in the wrong place, please tell whoever's supposed to know so they can move it.
smile.png

Last edited:
My roo is a good boy. He's a little bantam Mille Fleur D'Uccle.

He has jumped at my kids once or twice (just scratches) but he's good at keeping an eye on the sky!
lol.png
I think we have too many girls right now and he's just about given up trying to follow them all around the place, they scatter in all directions the minute I open the coop!
gig.gif

I love my roos!! I have 2 serama boys, a lav. ameraucana, and 2 cuckoo polish (1 smooth 1 frizzled). They are all well behaved (although the newest serama likes to pull the polish's feathers out when they are free ranging
lol.png
roll.png
All are nice to the girls, and they do put out a serious alert when there's a hawk or other possible predator around. They have never tried any funny business with me, and they will get put in their place if they do. BUT, I fuss over them and carry them around on a daily basis in hopes of never having to scold them
wink.png

ETA: AHH! I can't forget Peep-eep!! He is a little Blue salmon Fav. The reason he is still here is because he's my lap chicken
lol.png
He runs over to me to be picked up and held, and he sits on my lap when I'm outside... WAY too cute!! When he gets older, he'll be in with the laying flock so as not to mingle with my breeding birds
smile.png

Frizzle serama roo, from bluegrass seramas:
27475_img_1362.jpg

Frizzle polish (Mr. Frizz):
27475_img_1072.jpg

Peep-eep Blue salmon Fav, getting a piggy back ride from Maddie
big_smile.png
:
27475_img_1356.jpg

Last edited:
Roosters are very special to me. Gamefowl are my passion in all their breeds. The beauty and attitude is remarkable. At times, I have had as many as 150 mature cocks plus their ladies. In all the time I have bred gamefowl, I have only had 2 that were manfighters. Cockers do not tolerate human aggression and whenever it appears, it is quickly culled.

Barnyard breeds seem to have an abundance of mean roosters. Not real sure of the reason for this, but inbreeding and failure to cull are strong suspects. There are just too many tame roosters around to accept aggressive behavior from any of them. Passing that attitude on to future offspring is irresponsible.

Hope your boy keeps his head........Pop

Quote:
Oh my goodness that is the coolest roo ever! I haven't a clue where to buy 'different' breeds around here...thus, my roos are all leghorns. Don't get me wrong, I love my leghorns but I am jealous of all of your different and crazy looking birdas!

Captain Morgan is the best roo ever. He is the first one we have been able to keep. We have gotten rid of 4 before him because of bad behavior.
17124_100_0298.jpg

This is him being so handsome.
tongue.png
He loves to dance for the girls.
roll.png
lol.png

He will be one years old on the 13th of October. He deserves a happy birthday.

He is also a superhero when he's not cutting a rug.
17124_100_0342.jpg

Faster than a speeding bullet.
lol.png

17124_100_0333.jpg

I suspect, since many of us cull mean roosters, the trend will be towards nice ones if only those living are taken into account.
wink.png

I love the roosters we have currently. I loved the ones we had before that were mean too... as soon as they hit my dinner table. They were VERY tasty.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom