Your roos – good or bad? *Updated Chart on Page 15*

lol.png
too funny

I love my SLW roo Dexter- He's 1 1/2. I never meant to have one and so was probably more critical than others looking for reasons to get rid him but he's great to the girls, keeps an eye on them, and will fly up on a perch for me to pet him. He's never been aggressive to anyone (though I admit I'm rather reclusive and when family comes over he first herds the girls into the coop to check threat levels) but once he gets used to people being there he brings them back out. I wouldn't trade him for anything. My other (accidental) speckled sussex roo (Norton, about 6 mos old) seems to be turning out just fine too. I know (based on others' accounts) I've been really fortunate and I assume my good fortune has less to do with what I've done or the breed but more with the individual personality of the birds.

I have 3 polish rooster and like them very much. I can pick all of them up and the first one pictured below is an absolute sweetie. I was considering rehoming one or two as I only have 15 hens but they seem to have struck a balance. Here they are in order from least to most dominant:

22356_p1010590.jpg

22356_p1010606.jpg

22356_p1010298.jpg

I JUST got a silkie rooster. My other girls pick on him, so I have to keep him seperated. He fell asleep in my arms the other night while we were waiting for thos mean hens to roost!!

I have 6 different roos that I simply love.

The first is my Red Jungle Fowl, I call him "Mr. Roo"
The second is my giant cochin roo, the wife calls him "dumplins"
The third is my leghorn roo, We call him "Foghorn Leghorn"
The fourth is my White Rock roo, He is HUGE, so I call him "big boy"
The Fith and sixth are my two NJ Giants. I have a black and a blue
and they are great birds. I call them frick and frack.

In my opinion, roos are a necessary thing to have in a free range environment.

One of my two Blue Cochins - Rickie Lee turned out to be a Rooster, so he was renamed Little Ricky and then renamed Blue (short for Bernard Lewis, my friend's dad's nickname) or his spanish name Azul.

Azul is still very young (5 months), so I am expecting that his behavior may change, but at this time he is very mellow with his three girls, but he does go on alert when cats or dogs come near the run.

Blue about 6 weeks ago:

Rickie03.jpg

And when they were little:

Cochins1.jpg

Fingers crossed,

Hugh

Last edited:
I think I amin the same boat as many of you,I was "Surprised" when I found out I had a Rooster, I was also a little mad that I had a nonproductive freeloader in the coop. Turns out, he is a handsome rooster that brings the girls a sense of safety and he provides us with tons of entertainment. Here's his picture, he's 22 weeks old and his name is BB, it stands for Big Boy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30630_bb.jpg

I loved mine. He was a big & tough but a total gentleman with people. His name was Jorge and he was an 8 year old red sexlink.

7166_imgp1864.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't the only one who liked him,
hit.gif
I think this was the work of a bobcat. It happened in broad daylight and even the dogs were bewildered.

7166_imgp2859.jpg

Back
Top Bottom