Your roos – good or bad? *Updated Chart on Page 15*

I
love.gif
my boy!

Tennessee is a 1.5 year old Mille Fleur d'Uccle. He finds treats for his girls, is a gentleman with them, and watches for all danger. He even got beaten up by a dog that tried to get at his girls!

2952_millie_dad_edited.jpg

He's much prettier now, this is a pre-molt pic. He's won BB & BV and many 1st places in shows and fairs.

His only flaw is that he doesn't like teenagers. I've watched him fly across the yard to chase my daughter and her friend when they weren't anywhere near the hens.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

I have 4 Australorp Roosters in with several hens and they are very sweet. I have a Silkie Rooster and he is very protective of his girls. I have to watch him.

All our roosters seem to turn mean with the exception of two Silky roosters I had that I raised in the house and a cochin rooster, ALL of which, ironically, a fox got! (broke my heart!)

I plan to get some more cochins as soon as I can get rid of my fox issue and know this is resolved. That cochin rooster we had was the SWEETEST and most docile thing! (poor George__RIP!)
sad.png

I have 8 roosters between the ages of 18 and 25 weeks. 4 are EEs; 3 are BOs and 1 Australorp. I have to cull 4 this weekend. but I don't know which ones. None of them are the least bit aggressive. I tried to sell them, but everyone has too many right now. I have 9 EE pullets, 2 Americauna pullets, 12 BO pullets and 1 Australorp pullet.
What else should I look for in my decision. Should I get rid of the roo that pushes the hens around. He eats first. He chases them into the coop. Of course I dont know how the other roos will act if he's gone.
The BO roos are different sizes, does size matter? Any ideas?
And only 2 roosters are crowing! Is that odd?

Decisions, decisions

I just love my EE Roo Edward.
I have always had trouble with roosters, every time we got one it went bad. But then one my horsie friends realized they had a roo instead of a hen and I took him before she killed him and put him with my young hens and my older BO hen. He was beat up quite a bit for about a month, then things changed and he became the highest in the peck order, but never could pass my 5 year old BO hen. She just passed away last night sadly, I think she was egg bound, Edward was looking for her too and crowing non-stop all night. Hes such a good guy he wont sleep unless he knows his hens are safe and in the coop at night. I'm really happy I finally found a "tame" rooster, I thought I would never find one and I kept hearing stories about my friend's bad roosters. But this guy has never challenged me once, never pecked me and I lets me hold him everyday. He does give me the evil eye though when I hold the hens though
lol.png

Im hoping he doesn't go bad, hes still young and things could change, but I guess if I handle him daily he should be fine.

IMG_1406.jpg

Hes pretty young in this picture, but I don't have any newer ones of him yet.

I've had one really, really mean roo-a Jersey Giant-may he rest in pieces.
I currently have three roos. My RIR was getting aggressive just after sexual maturity. He was just doing his job but he needed to learn that I was the boss and biting the boss isn't allowed. Luckily, he's smart and learned after just one "waterboarding" lesson and some extra carrying around.
My Buff Orp roo is a little flighty, not as friendly as his girls but never, ever aggressive.
My Easter Egger roo, like all of my EE roos thus far is sweet, friendly and super cool. If I could only have one breed of chickens it would be EEs and that would be primarily because of how laid back the roos of the breed have been for me.

Quote:
I hope that my Cochin Rooster turns out as sweet as yours, so far so good. Cochins are very mellow chickens.

And I also hope that he never learns to crow, is that possible? Or maybe just crow once in a while, not all day long...

--Hugh

My New Hampshire Red rooster, Buddy, is really a great rooster. Of course, we weren't planning on any roosters, and after getting rid of 2 others (when I see them pull a feather from my hens for no reason - they are heading to the soup pot!), I'm glad that Buddy is such a great rooster. He warns the hens when the hawk is flying nearby, and actually coaxes them into the nest boxes to lay eggs!
So far, he has been really good, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

We have 5 roosters....we have a 1yr old BarredRock rooster his name is "Stu"..and he is kinda aggressive. I won't go out without my whip he's good to his girls, that's about it. We have 2 BO roos and they are too skiddish they don't bother any of us. And one mille fleur roo and he thinks he's the baddest of them all.

Back
Top Bottom