Your thoughts on a broody hen in winter

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I'm letting my silkie stay broody because well THIS IS HER LIKE 100TH TIME BEING BROODY THIS YEAR. She is the only hen that has been broody the rest haven't even tried. It's too cold for me to go through and break her so I decided to let her be because she can keep the eggs from freezing. I make sure she eats and drinks and gets out of the box so she doesn't lose weight. The other hens sometimes kick her out of the box because she's in their favorite one so while they lay their eggs in there she's out in the run doing her thing. It's not a bad idea, right?

I wish I could but our rooster would just kill the baby, he has never been introduced to new hens/chicks. She also does not get mated and is at the bottom of the pecking order so she cant have chicks unless I let them get bullied too since she can't protect them. I also don't have enough room right now for more. I can try and break her but she's just gonna end up broody again next month so.
Can't you just move her somewhere else?
Moving broody hens

Moving broody hens

Moving broody hens You have a broody hen, you want to hatch chicks but you can't leave your hen in her current nesting spot. What do you do?!?! This article covers everything you need to know about moving broody hens. Why move a broody hen? There can be a few reasons why you have to move...

Can't you just move her somewhere else?
Moving broody hens

Moving broody hens

Moving broody hens You have a broody hen, you want to hatch chicks but you can't leave your hen in her current nesting spot. What do you do?!?! This article covers everything you need to know about moving broody hens. Why move a broody hen? There can be a few reasons why you have to move...
I cant have any more chickens right now and we don't really have a place for her at the moment

If you are just using her to keep eggs from freezing, I think you would be fine. You said she isn't bred, so not really incubating the eggs, right? And she does get out and does her own thing several times a day, right?
I had a chicken get broody in October and hatched 1 chick in November in upstate NY. The chick is a month old and has been with the flock for about 3 weeks now, by the mother's choosing. I have noticed other hens pecking at the mother when I toss food out, but they will let the baby be right next to them. It all depends on your flock and what you are able or willing to do. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20211126_105617829_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211126_105617829_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
If you are just using her to keep eggs from freezing, I think you would be fine. You said she isn't bred, so not really incubating the eggs, right? And she does get out and does her own thing several times a day, right?
I had a chicken get broody in October and hatched 1 chick in November in upstate NY. The chick is a month old and has been with the flock for about 3 weeks now, by the mother's choosing. I have noticed other hens pecking at the mother when I toss food out, but they will let the baby be right next to them. It all depends on your flock and what you are able or willing to do. Good luck.
yes, last night when I put the food in the coop she got out of the box on her own, usually, I have to push her but she's been getting out herself. My Rooster is well he isn't nice so I don't want to take chances with a chick lol.

Back
Top Bottom