Your thoughts on crossbreeds "mutts" (poll)

would you buy a good producing mutt

• yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
I would not. I like to know what I am getting when it comes to calm/nervous, egg laying, weight, etc... Not that you can guarantee what you are getting when you get a purebred, however the chances are better.

I have 4 female Welsh Harlequins. we chose them for size, calmness first then egg laying.

We also adopted a Pekin drake that needed a home. We will not be hatching any eggs out. If we want more ducks I will get more WH's from a breeder.

I should also add that I have spent many, many, many (too many
tongue.png
) years in the dog show ring, so I may be a little biased about mix breeds because of that.
Same here, SFraker, dogs and cats. I don't have the temperament for cross-breeding animals and hoping I'll end up with some something beneficial, or at least not detrimental, to the animal.

JadeComputerGal is right, it takes years and many birds to make a new breed, but that is how many were started, for chickens, rhode island reds, chanteclers, many others were developed from many other breeds and generations selected for the birds they were looking for in their breed, lotsa culling involved also. The hybrid chickens I mentioned that are excellent egg layers are also like a hybrid plant seed, it only works for that first offspring, any further breeding does not give the same result, only the first cross. I am more interested in preserving our heritage breeds we already have before they die out because the meat and egg industry is only interested in profits, they don't want these old heritage breeds. This is also why this interest in "back yard chickens" in suburban areas is such a great thing. Many of these new found poultry enthusiasts have helped keep many of the critically endangered breeds from extinction. Check out www.livestockconservancy.org . There are many heritage breeds of ducks that could use your help. The khaki campbell is on their watch list and lays more eggs than any chicken. The cayuga is on threatened list, and is native to the USA. The Livestock Conservancy also has a comparison chart that shows how many eggs they lay, if they are good for meat production, rapid growth or slow, and if they are broody,good mothers. Some of the listed critically endangered ducks are excellent egg layers, good meat producers and have rapid growth. I see the khaki campbell is listed poor for broodiness, but my accidental campbell, mallard cross had many successful hatches. Maybe it was a good cross, or maybe that one duck was a fluke? If you do decide to go on with your experiment I bid you good luck! I personally someday want to try a chicken cross that will probably cost me a lot of money because neither breed is efficient growers, they take a lot of feed and time. But I'm curious as to how big and tall a Malay, Jersey Giant cross will get. The Jersey Giant can weigh 13lbs, and have been reported to reach 18lbs. The Malay can reach 9-10lbs, and they can be 3 foot tall!! I've read posts on people who want to try it, but haven't found any info on the results of a potentially ginormous chicken.

Thank you for feedback I'm now thinking I probably will not hybridize for the birds sake and there wouldn't be a huge market.

Thank you both for the feedback I will keep small slug eater in mind. Just out of curiosity Kevin565 what kind of ducks do you own,and why do you like them
I've kept Runners, Calls, Pekins, and a Muscovy over the years. Muscovies and Calls were by far my favorite two to keep. They might seem like polar opposites but they all had amazing personalities.

JadeComputerGal is right, it takes years and many birds to make a new breed, but that is how many were started, for chickens, rhode island reds, chanteclers, many others were developed from many other breeds and generations selected for the birds they were looking for in their breed, lotsa culling involved also. The hybrid chickens I mentioned that are excellent egg layers are also like a hybrid plant seed, it only works for that first offspring, any further breeding does not give the same result, only the first cross. I am more interested in preserving our heritage breeds we already have before they die out because the meat and egg industry is only interested in profits, they don't want these old heritage breeds. This is also why this interest in "back yard chickens" in suburban areas is such a great thing. Many of these new found poultry enthusiasts have helped keep many of the critically endangered breeds from extinction. Check out www.livestockconservancy.org . There are many heritage breeds of ducks that could use your help. The khaki campbell is on their watch list and lays more eggs than any chicken. The cayuga is on threatened list, and is native to the USA. The Livestock Conservancy also has a comparison chart that shows how many eggs they lay, if they are good for meat production, rapid growth or slow, and if they are broody,good mothers. Some of the listed critically endangered ducks are excellent egg layers, good meat producers and have rapid growth. I see the khaki campbell is listed poor for broodiness, but my accidental campbell, mallard cross had many successful hatches. Maybe it was a good cross, or maybe that one duck was a fluke? If you do decide to go on with your experiment I bid you good luck! I personally someday want to try a chicken cross that will probably cost me a lot of money because neither breed is efficient growers, they take a lot of feed and time. But I'm curious as to how big and tall a Malay, Jersey Giant cross will get. The Jersey Giant can weigh 13lbs, and have been reported to reach 18lbs. The Malay can reach 9-10lbs, and they can be 3 foot tall!! I've read posts on people who want to try it, but haven't found any info on the results of a potentially ginormous chicken.

Well I have some Malays and I just got some Blue Jersey Giants. I was thinking about doing a project with them myself to see what kind of a giant bird I could produce from a cross between the two of them. It will be next year though before I start the project. Getting late in the year to hatch off any more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom