Your thoughts on identifying mom of this chick

I have no other feather legged birds so he has to be split on the e locus. He did also father 3 black sex linked chicks in this same hatch with PBarred rock hens. They all have traces of leg feathers. He’s not a good rooster as he has many faults per the SOP.
I have RIR, Buff Orpington, and SLWhens that he runs with. I’m assuming the RIR and BO most likely have e locus sit too?

Chick has wild type down with feathered yellow legs. It is only 4 days old. The dad has to be my Black Copper Maran. I thought I only pulled the Barred Plymouth Rock eggs. The other chicks are black sex linked.

The other breeds of hens I have are Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, RIR, and Amberlink.

Who’s the mom? What’s its gender?
well I hatched a few and they looked the same, they were from an easter egger, so i would say most likely the RIR, maybe the amberlink. *shrug*

Last edited:
Chick has wild type down with feathered yellow legs. It is only 4 days old. The dad has to be my Black Copper Maran. I thought I only pulled the Barred Plymouth Rock eggs. The other chicks are black sex linked.

The other breeds of hens I have are Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, RIR, and Amberlink.

Who’s the mom? What’s its gender?
Do you have any other Rooster? The onlyway that this chick is from a BCM rooster is if he has Welsummer heritage(not surprising as both are dark colored eggers and they are used interchangeably to enhanced color), it does not need to be a recent ancestry as wildtype e+ allele can hide for many generations on a bird, the same goes for yellow colored skin(can hid under white for generations), This rooster(if the only rooster on your coop) is clearly ER/e+ W+/w and was crossed to the Legbar hen which is e+/e+ w/w, the chances of the chick being e+/e+, w/w are 50% so quite high

Do you have any other Rooster? The onlyway that this chick is from a BCM rooster is if he has Welsummer heritage(not surprising as both are dark colored eggers and they are used interchangeably to enhanced color), it does not need to be a recent ancestry as wildtype e+ allele can hide for many generations on a bird, the same goes for yellow colored skin(can hid under white for generations), This rooster(if the only rooster on your coop) is clearly ER/e+ W+/w and was crossed to the Legbar hen which is e+/e+ w/w, the chances of the chick being e+/e+, w/w are 50% so quite highI
It’s the only rooster with feathered legs. I have Buff Orpington Plymouth Barred Rock and the BcM

Back
Top Bottom