Your very last chicken... what would it be?

Pics
As you said, there are 3 varieties of Marans recognized by the APA in the US. But they are Black Copper, Wheaten and White. No blue on the list.
In France there are 8 recognized varieties but no blue on that list either. They are Silver Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, White, Coppered Black, Black, Wheat, Black-tailed Fawn, and Ermine.
What about Blue Birchen?

Oh gosh. Tough one. So far I have found Leghorns to have one of the best personalities. SUPER friendly. Some people call them flighty, but I call it alertness. They’d be last to get taken by a predator out in the open. But their high production puts them at risk for reproductive problems. Barred Rocks are calm and confident. Both my Buckeyes are hilariously cute... super curious and talkative, plus both chase cats and even out rank and chase my dog! Ok, I can’t decide right now. It would be between those three breeds or Australorp.

Wow, what a cool and virtually impossible thread, lol!!!

When I was a little kid, my great aunts had chicken figurines on their kitchen shelves. They were ceramic & black with white spots and such beautiful red combs! When my husband wanted to get us started raising chickens, he said that Plymouth Barred Rocks would be the nicest to me, especially since I had ZERO experience with chickens. They were delightful and I was always delighted by their personalities!!

Our current flock was adopted from a Farm Animal Sanctuary & selected purely based on the beauty of their feathers! We had NO idea of breeds. We got 3 drop-dead-gorgeous Easter Eggers, 1 Auracana, 1 Buff Orphington, & 2 Americaunas. They are marvelous!

Who said one of every breed?? I dunno, so many beautiful, interesting & delightful breeds from which to choose!!!

They call gray chickens blue, Blue andelusians, blue orpingtons, etc. blue does not breed true so you get black ones, splash (looks white with dots), and the blue.

Last edited:
bspl.PNG
Blue Splash Maran.

There are full white Marans, but they are not created through the blue.

Last edited:
I'm going to have say Easter Eggers. Ok, they're not a breed. But that's what makes them so great! They're a mutt, and come in a variety of colors and their eggs come in a variety of colors, so having a flock of just Easter Eggers is like having a huge variety of chickens! Plus, my EE, Falcon, is just the best ever.

Look at that FACE! Who could say "no" to that?! (Don't mind Salt - the SLW - trying to horn in on Falcon's photo op!)
View attachment 1995358

She is so very pretty, and from certain angles, even majestic!
View attachment 1995360
That is one sweet looking bird!

Ohh we can put rankings, too?!

Bantams:
1. Dutch
2. D'Uccle
3. Rosecomb
4. Cochins
5. Sebrights
6. D'Anvers (I don't have them but I want them!)
7. Brahma (I don't have them but I want them!!)
8. Austrian Bantam Steinpiperl (I don't have them but I want them!!)
9. Sulmtaler Bantam (I don’t have them but I want them!!)

Large Fowl/Standard:
1. Basque Hens/Euskal Oilas
2. Blue Isbar
3. Dorkings
4. Marans
5. Crested Cream Legbar
6. 55 Flowery Hen
7. Brahma
8. Orloff
9. Welsummer
10. Australorps
11. Aseel
12. Jersey Giants

I WANT ALL THE CHICKENS!!!
How in the world could you have that many favorites and miss the Buff Orpington? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom