You've Trapped the Sparrows and Starlings Eating Your Feed, Now What?

calista

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
A couple of threads here have discussed ways of trapping pest House Sparrows and Starlings that eat up your chicken feed, and I'm very happy with the success of the sparrow trap I bought after learning about it here on BYC. (House Sparrows and Starlings are flying vermin unprotected in the United States, as they are both introduced species who displace and kill native cavity-nesting birds.)

My method of dispatching the captured birds has been individual "swimming" periods in a narrow glass of water, but I came upon an easier, humane method of euthanizing on a site about purple martin management that may work out better:

47849_humane1.jpg

What you need:

1. A plastic jug -- I use an old plastic 1-gal jug (cornmeal and mayonnaise are packaged in them). The jug has a large 4.25-inch lid, which simplifies dumping the dead birds out later, and I have drilled a 2.25-inch hole in the lid in which I have placed a cork.

2. Engine Starting Fluid -- Engine starting fluid consists mainly of diethyl ether, which was used years ago as a general anesthetic in human medicine, and is still used in research labs to put down laboratory rats, etc. You can purchase it at any auto parts store.CAUTION: Ether is highly flammable! -- DO NOT use near fire or any open flame (including cigarettes)!

What you do:

1. Remove the birds from your trap and put them into the jug through the small, uncorked opening. Be sure to immediately replace the cork each time or they will escape; especially starlings, which can jump up into the opening as you put the cork in.

2. When you have placed all of the birds into the jug that are going to be euthanized, spray a couple of squirts of starting fluid through the small opening, being careful not to allow any birds to escape.

3. The birds will be put to sleep in about 30 seconds, and will be dead in less than 30 minutes. I always go off and leave the jug for at least 30 minutes, then dump the dead birds into my compost tumbler.

http://www.purplemartin.org/forumarchives/archive/Humane.htm

Has anyone tried this method?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
yep if ok to kill chicken that way ..why not pest birds. wring their necks as you take them out of the traps.

Quote:
That would work too for a few birds. I've caught quite a few at a time though (7+), and I'd rather euthanize a bunch at once with the jar method rather than sit around snipping and getting blood all over.

This would work well for mice caught in traps and things too!

Thanks for the posting, this would be very helpful!

Thanks, Ibicella, and that's why I posted it, as I think this method is more humane and less bloody than decapitation.

I think this would also be a less painful (for the chicken owner) method of culling chicks.

A couple of threads here have discussed ways of trapping pest House Sparrows and Starlings that eat up your chicken feed, and I'm very happy with the success of the sparrow trap I bought after learning about it here on BYC. (House Sparrows and Starlings are flying vermin unprotected in the United States, as they are both introduced species who displace and kill native cavity-nesting birds.)

My method of dispatching the captured birds has been individual "swimming" periods in a narrow glass of water, but I came upon an easier, humane method of euthanizing on a site about purple martin management that may work out better:

47849_humane1.jpg

What you need:

1. A plastic jug -- I use an old plastic 1-gal jug (cornmeal and mayonnaise are packaged in them). The jug has a large 4.25-inch lid, which simplifies dumping the dead birds out later, and I have drilled a 2.25-inch hole in the lid in which I have placed a cork.

2. Engine Starting Fluid -- Engine starting fluid consists mainly of diethyl ether, which was used years ago as a general anesthetic in human medicine, and is still used in research labs to put down laboratory rats, etc. You can purchase it at any auto parts store.CAUTION: Ether is highly flammable! -- DO NOT use near fire or any open flame (including cigarettes)!

What you do:

1. Remove the birds from your trap and put them into the jug through the small, uncorked opening. Be sure to immediately replace the cork each time or they will escape; especially starlings, which can jump up into the opening as you put the cork in.

2. When you have placed all of the birds into the jug that are going to be euthanized, spray a couple of squirts of starting fluid through the small opening, being careful not to allow any birds to escape.

3. The birds will be put to sleep in about 30 seconds, and will be dead in less than 30 minutes. I always go off and leave the jug for at least 30 minutes, then dump the dead birds into my compost tumbler.

http://www.purplemartin.org/forumarchives/archive/Humane.htm

Has anyone tried this method?
Absolutely, I used starting fluid to asphyxiate sparrows and starlings caught in my repeating sparrow trap. I primarily caught sparrows, as many as 20/day and needed a way to simply and humanely dispatch them. I made a chute at the edge of my trap with a port that could be opened with a plastic bag rubber banded over it. I would then spook the sparrows into the chute and into the plastic bag. Close the bag opening, remove it from the trap, swing the bag around several times which disorients the birds making them calmer, then stuff a paper towel soaked with starting fluid into the bag, tie off the bag and drop it in the dog waste can until trash day. When I initially started this process I used a plastic jar to confirm the birds passed and agree that they were out quickly and effectively dead within 10-20 minutes. Over 2 years I removed over 700 sparrows from the population using a combination of 3 traps, 1 purchased and modified elevator trap and 2 home made fish trap style.

Glad to hear anything supporting removing sparrows and starlings. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Jake

Or you could stop feeding the sparrows and not have to kill anything. Secure the feed and they leave. So simple. Better than non stop trapping and euthanizing. Just an opinion....

Back
Top Bottom