Yucky discharge and inside out looking vent

MmarkBbell

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2020
Harley is two years old. Yesterday I noticed a lot of discharge with dirt stuck to it all. It’s not looking better today. Any suggestions?
she lives with two other two year olds. We’re in the SF Bay area so mild weather
90% of their diet is purina latent pellets. The rest is table scraps. No new or different food.

Attachments

• 42497A23-B227-471E-8E33-2B287E8DD697.jpeg
    42497A23-B227-471E-8E33-2B287E8DD697.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 72E09B1C-A18F-4726-B4C7-34AE9C38FA49.jpeg
    72E09B1C-A18F-4726-B4C7-34AE9C38FA49.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 12
  • 851DBA55-C6D3-4C36-B583-8BE996D1A0AB.jpeg
    851DBA55-C6D3-4C36-B583-8BE996D1A0AB.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 11
Can you get her cleaned up and take another picture? I also wondered if she might have a small prolapsed cloaca. A prolapse can occur with straining and can sometimes happen with egg binding. If she has red internal tissue hanging outside, it needs to be kept moist with honey or oil, to keep it from drying out. Make sure that she is taking water, and try to push the red tissue back inside (if it is prolpased.) Here is a good article about prolapsed vents (cloaca) and lots of pictures:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Great news! Turns out it was a stuck egg. She layed the egg late in the day yesterday (found the egg this AM). Her backside looks way better and she seems back to normal. Thank you all for giving some advice and helping me out.

Great news. Glad that all is well. Make sure that she is taking crushed oyster shell since a calcium deficiency can increase the likelihood of egg binding. Tums or human calcium tablets can be given if a stuck egg is supected.

Harley is two years old. Yesterday I noticed a lot of discharge with dirt stuck to it all. It’s not looking better today. Any suggestions?
she lives with two other two year olds. We’re in the SF Bay area so mild weather
90% of their diet is purina latent pellets. The rest is table scraps. No new or different food.
I have just RECENTLY had to doctor a hen of mine, she had a prolapse vent and that was my first time dealing with something like that, I googled and did what people recommended, prep h cream, soaking hens butt in Epsom salt baths, cleaning, antibacterial spray. It took about 2 weeks but she is good now, hasn't laid any eggs yet again but melting now. I was talking with my vet and she told me to soak and clean,clip, trim feathers and down and get a handful of SUGAR yes table sugar and pack, dip her but/vent (parts hanging out) in the sugar, do this a couple times a day and the sugar will help draw up the vent. I think it happened to my hen due to clogged tract cuz she had a back up of what looked like PACKED grass clippings after the swelling went down. Then when it was all back in that chicken had MORE poop than my whole flock would put out in 3 days, it was basically CONSTIPATED, she said to also stop that issue you could put pancake syrup in their water, just about 1 tbs per 1 gallon. Just like a baby putting kayro syrup in their bottle, it's a LAXATIVE to them so don't put to much.

Back
Top Bottom