Yummies that chickens can eat, but Ducks can't??

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Hi! Can ducks eat the same yummy treats I may give my chickens?... Lettuce, mealworms, pumpkin, cucumbers, scratch block (not that they would really scratch), etc. etc. etc. I want to be aware if there are yummies that are healthy for one type of poultry, but not the other since they all live together. Thanks! :D

Downsm75, how do you coop your chickens and ducks together? I'm trying to figure this out. My will all be moved to their final coop in a couple weeks. The ducks spill so much water when they're drinking... It makes the bedding a mushy mess. I'm not sure how to NOT have this mess in the coop... Or at least how to handle it/minimize it. Cute little ducks but awfully messy! :p

Downsm75, how do you coop your chickens and ducks together? I'm trying to figure this out. My will all be moved to their final coop in a couple weeks. The ducks spill so much water when they're drinking... It makes the bedding a mushy mess. I'm not sure how to NOT have this mess in the coop... Or at least how to handle it/minimize it. Cute little ducks but awfully messy!
tongue.png
can you put their water source in the run and not in the coop? Also I read on here how to water ducks that helps with the mess. take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, cut duck head sized holes in 3 places about 1/2 way up the bucket. Hang the bucket up and the ducks can dunk their heads in water, but not make such a mess.

I always put the ducklings water over wire. Then you have something underneath to catch the water that spills. It has worked good so far. My ducks love scratch, I mix a little in to their food each day. They also go nutz for boiled/scrambled eggs, and bugs of any kind. We love to take the ducks to the garden and let them eat the bugs. The ducks love the rolly polly bugs! My chickens will not touch them, but the ducks can gobble them up fast than you can say quack!

~ Aspen

Last edited:
Downsm75, how do you coop your chickens and ducks together? I'm trying to figure this out. My will all be moved to their final coop in a couple weeks. The ducks spill so much water when they're drinking... It makes the bedding a mushy mess. I'm not sure how to NOT have this mess in the coop... Or at least how to handle it/minimize it. Cute little ducks but awfully messy! :p
Their still babies. I have 2a watering canteens. One for the ducks (down low) and one for the chicks (up higher) I do have to change their water quite a bit, but I seriously think the ducks think their chickens.. I have one chick named Chuck Norris that they follow that EVERYWHERE

Wow! These were all really great ideas! Thank you! Thank you! I'll have to give this some more thought and see what I can rig in the new coop... A hopefully much drier place than I was dreading! ;)

Back
Top Bottom