Yummmmm!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BigMama, Aug 5, 2007.

1. BigMama

BigMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    We ate our first home raised chicken yesterday. It was awesome. The breasts on this bird were huge. I had to put them along with the thighs in the oven 20 minutes ealier than the wings and legs.

I could not eat one breast at a sitting! I had to finish it for supper. the taste was awesome, it was tender. I was a little reluctant to eat one of my own, but it won't be a problem from now on.

2. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Congrats. I too just got mine butchered yesterday. He didnt eat one yet, hubby said lets wait a few days! [​IMG] But I got to taste 1 that my sister did and it was tastey. Makes ya feel good.

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    And it tastes better because you raised it yourself!
    Good deal! [​IMG]

4. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Yep. I wasn't sure myself, but once I tasted one, it was a lot easier to look at them as "meat", even while they're still alive.

How long did you raise them? I assume it was a cornish cross? We butchered ours at about 9 1/2 weeks, which resulted in some pretty big chickens (5 to 7 lbs dressed). Great for roasting.

5. spock78

spock78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Congrats!! We just ate our first last week. It took 2 of us through 2 dinners. So nice to finally get a chicken big enough to roast like a turkey. LOL!!

6. BigMama

BigMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    I picked up our Cornish meat and laying chicks from the hatchery on April 10th. We butchered 10 of them using a chicken plucker on August 5th which was 18 weeks.

We butchered the first 10 at 14 weeks. These we skinned. We picked these 10 because they were having trouble walking.

We never fed our meat birds anything but chick starter because I didn't want our layers eating meat gainer (is that what its called?).

The birds were huge, but they weren't fatty like we were afraid of.

Just a note: I much preferred skinning to plucking. When scalding the chickens to pluck, if we scalded them to long the skin split. (this only happened to two) We had to singe the feathers and had to find the right way to do this or the skin blackened. DH first tried using a torch but the heat was to intense, I don't know what the second contraption was but it reminded me of a flame thrower. It was harder for me to cut them up, the skin kept moving on me. I'm sure if I would have had a better knife that would have helped.

7. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was talking to Bubba yesterday and he said the same thing. He said skinning was much easier, and since he didn't eat skin anyway what was the point of plucking. I'm seriously thinking of getting some meat birds and giving it a go. I am amazed at how big these birds get so quickly.
    Cathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by