Yuppie backyard chicken site

Boy oh boy. If i had the money I would buy one already built or have a custom Coop built. Even better yet. I am just an old lady living on SSI, so needless to say I have to be very thrifty. And you know what the best part is, is, the challenge and satisfaction of doing all that you can, with what you have. Besides, it keeps my mind active, and having fun with my BYC Flock, and friends.
woot.gif
I say Woot!! to all of us.
thumbsup.gif

The idea of the urban "farmer" kind of grates me. If you're not doing it as a livelihood, If you're not counting on egg/meat production being high, you're not a farmer. You might enjoy keeping them and it's a great hobby but it's not the same thing. I don't enjoy seeing animals as fads and I'm seeing chickens going that route lately.

I am one, who got my chickens for FOOD! And they give me lots of laughs. I did not get them to blow them off like people do that get their kids live chickens or ducks for Easter, and as soon as the cute yellow fuzzy chick grows up. They are tired of them. That Ticks me off. They want to throw them away. The parents need a good swift kick in the behind!

That would be really cool. With the BYC members heads together, can you just think about how it could be put together, and for a fair price. You could sell add ons as well.and call it "Grow A Coops"
lau.gif
Wow! ideas just a popping. LOL:gig!

Quote:
I agree farmer isn't the right word for many, but I think the fad is in growing your own food, which includes a garden, some fruit trees, chickens, etc. If people can be self sufficient in the city, then more power to them. I almost pulled it off, but then decided to move to the country where I can do it like I really want to.

Anyway, I kinda like the little minicoop for people that just want a couple chickens for eggs or whatever. I think the difficulty comes in not getting just one more or whatever and trying to make it fit in the same coop. Personally, I gave up on the chicken tractor idea because I got too many chickens. Luckily as a bachelor, I was able to convert a spare bedroom into a coop. When it's free-range time, I just open the french door so they can go out. I know, I'm nuts--good thing I'm moving!

I love my Eglu. Easy to clean, very predator resistant and.... pink! You guys can criticize it if you want but I'm standing by my favorite coop! I love that thing.
love.gif

I think anything that helps get people started in the hobby and works for thier situation is fine. Some people are not handy, some don't have space, some don't have time, or can't physically handle large pens or operations, and some just want to try chickens out in a small and simple set up. The more chicken keepers out there no matter who they are and thier lifestyles, the more powerful the chicken keepers as a group become. Chicken keeping is not a club where people have to prove how "legit" they are in thier farmer-iness or in any other way. Chickens are for everybody, and the more people that try it, the more people will relaize how rewarding chicken keeping can be.

Back
Top Bottom