Zane, Chapter 7/Update

Gawd he's gorgeous! Look at the size of him. I'd be torn up too with such a good looking rooster in this situation. It's not easy to take care of injured animals and you have my sympathy and support in whatever you decide to do. Best wishes.
hugs.gif

Cyn, I am so sorry for what you and Zane are going through and have been thru for quite some time. This must be excruciating for you to have to make a decision one way or the other. You'll know in your heart what is right when the time comes. Sometimes we have to give up our own selfish feelings and wants for what is best for our loved ones. That is not meant with any disrespect, but I think you know what I mean. Our love forbids us to cause harm, but we must always consider "their" quality of life and is it truly a blessing to be alive. I tell you this with a heavy heart and know that we all love Zane as much as you and will support you no matter what you choose. :aww

Jody

I have hugs for all of you...
As for advice, take it for the amount it costs...it's free...
He can't walk and he has a callous on his wing...
He's not a showbird, so that's not a big deal...

He eats, drinks, poops and crows, but doesn't have much of a sex life...
idunno.gif
I'd be more upset if he wasn't doing any of the other things, truthfully.

I look into that face and I feel that he's not done yet, put that fork away.

Having had 2 birds croak on my watch, you get the feel for when they're done, and I don't have that feeling about Zane...

Cyn, so sorry to hear that Zane hasn't improved more.
sad.png

He is a beautiful Roo and you have shown your great love and care for him for these many months when many would have given up on him. My heart goes out to you in this difficult time. SIGH!! The Lord has blessed you with Zane's life and care and I give Him thanks for that. I lift Zane before the Lord and ask for His Mercy, thanking Him for the wonder and pleasure He gave you through Zane. What a precious, sweet time of learning, growing and enduring. As Spotted Crow mentioned
He can't walk and he has a callous on his wing...
He's not a showbird, so that's not a big deal...

He eats, drinks, poops and crows, but doesn't have much of a sex life...
I'd be more upset if he wasn't doing any of the other things, truthfully.

From his recent pic of his face, if I didn't know the situation, I'd say he seems alert and vibrant and would want to wait it out a bit longer. Only you cant really make the decision since you are there with him day in, day out. May the Lord grant you His peace as you look to Him for answers.​

I can't presume to say what would be best for all concerned, but in reference to some points made:

1. could you fashion some type of foam padding affixed with body tape or velcro to pad that outer edge of the wing where the callus is forming? It may be enough to help protect the area. If not, maybe to continue to allow the callus to develop will protect underlying tissue.

2. As much as roos may like to mate, that's not all there is to life (even for a randy roo!
wink.png
Zane looks happy, healthy, he knows he is loved, and I believe SH has mentioned that he enjoys being outside in the company (but not in direct proximity because of the potential for injury) of the others. These things are all part of enjoying life in general. Zane seems to be accepting that although things are different and admittedly more difficult, he has not given up his desire to live.

3. I wonder if sometimes we may over-read our own sadness and sorrow at our pets' limitations or illnesses. I don't think, for the most part, that our animals respond to traumatic injury or illness in the same way psychologically that we do as humans. I think sometimes we may be a little bit too quick to say "it's time to let go". (NOT speaking of anyone specifically here; PLEASE do not take this personally, ANYONE! Anyone who has made the decision to be responsible for the welfare of a creature who is dependent on them has a great weight of that responsibility when it comes time to make the very difficult decision of when it is time to bring an end to that animal's life.) For example, a few months back, a friend of mine called me asking what to do for a cat that she assumed had been either snakebitten or poisoned. The cat had young kittens that weren't yet weaned. I could hear her howling and crying in the background like she was in total agony; my friend said the cat was having seizure like convulsions, couldn't hold her head up, had foam coming from her mouth, glassy eyes, etc. Seeing a vet out where they were at that time of night was not an option. My first instinct from what she was describing was that the cat was going to die, and was obviously in agony, and should be put down. I told them to make her as comfortable as they could, and to consider a way to euthanize her as humanely as possible. She decided to leave her in the basket with the blankets and just see if she made it through the night. I was certain she'd be gone and would have died a very difficult and painful death. Instead, by the next morning she was MUCH better, acting like almost normal with only some mild weakness. If they had followed my impulse, the cat would have been killed and the kittens would probably have died without their mother. I'm glad I was wrong.

I said all that to say this: Let your heart AND Zane's heart guide you. Don't be quick to let go because things are different. Animals adjust much better than we do to "different". If he loses ALL interest in life, and doesn't enjoy ANYTHING, including food, human contact, flock interaction and contact, and cannot or will not regain that interest, then it may be time to look at whether or not HE wants to live, but as long as HE WANTS to live, please let him have that chance.
smile.png

Speckled Hen, you & your husband are in our thoughts and prayers.

eta to correct poor syntax

Last edited:
You guys are awesome. Thank you for going on this rollercoaster ride with Zane and me. I'm weighing all factors here. Every day that it isnt raining, Zane is taken from the dog kennel and put in the separation pen, which is about 2' wide by 15' long or so. He hops on one leg while flapping his wings and he goes anywhere he wants to in the pen. He has his water and food out there and can see most of the activities and watch for hawks like the other roosters. He can take a dustbath, too, if he wants, though he doesn't do that often.
What I'm worried about is if he develops a new infection inside the leg-the joint is much larger than the other one and currently seems to have a bit of fluid on the joint, though not necessarily infection. We do stretching and electric stimulation of the leg, but the foot is like a rubber chicken.. no resistance, no movement.
His brother would like to get at him and one day he was up on one leg and one wing with his hackles flaring, facing off with Dutch at the fence, silly boy. If Dutch gets to him, he'll be hurt for certain. I do let a girl go in with him from time to time and I've seen him try to grab her or dance a bit for her, so he still has interest in that. This is just so hard because I love this boy so much and he loves me right back; he's such a sweet, gentle soul.
I appreciate all perspectives and support and hope you guys dont get too impatient with me. This is more difficult, to make this decision, than with any dog I've ever had. And it's doubly hard because Zane isn't really ill and he can get around a bit, he just cant be with the general population. Being a flock animal, that has to be hard for him, being alone so much.

Back
Top Bottom