Zane, Chapter 7/Update

DH is giving Zane antibiotics, one that we only gave him one round of before. He's on Day 11 of them. The joint is full of fluid, but he was hoping if there was infection, it would kill that and the fluid would be reabsorbed by the body. He doesn't want to open the leg again and start that cycle of drainage, but I just dont know if that's a good idea. I'm at a loss here. Zane is sweet, alert and cheerful and loving, as always. The cold weather is a time when he wont be able to get out as much, though, and he may not have such a good attitude if he has to stay in a cage more hours in the day.

I know Tom is wanting to get Zane better along with yourself Cyn. I really hate that Zane has had such a time of this. My fingers are crossed that Tom's idea works.
fl.gif

I just stumbled on this thread and was ecstatic! I have been wondering how Zane was doing for some time now.

I know exactly how you feel here.
You remember my Lucas?

I came to several close calls on putting him down and the vet was absolutely no help in treating him.
He was a little different than Zane, as he could walk, but could still not go out with the rest of the flock as they would surely have killed him.
I went back and forth for months trying to decide if he had a good quality of life or not.
As most know, he ended up living in the house, with his own room.
He seemed very content in here. I recall letting him out in the yard a few times, but I had to sit out with him or he would want right back in the house to be with me.
He didn't seem to miss the flock at all and seemed to think of me as his "flock".

The decision is ultimately yours, he is your bird and you know him best.

I finally came to my decision, decided he seemed to enjoy the quality of life that he had, so I let things take a natural course with Lucas. He was eating and drinking and seemed content.

In the end, he let me know it was his time to go and that he was ready. It was late in the evening and I couldn't take him to the vet. I made him very comfortable. That night he slept on the little sofa next to my bed, and he woke me in the middle of the night.....I almost wonder if he was waking me to say goodbye.
I sat next to him, he cuddled up to me and I held him close and then he was gone.

That boy found a special place deep in my heart.......
hit.gif
....sorry...need a moment....

I know you are going though a very hard time trying to make the right decision with him. All I can say is, follow your heart and listen to Zane, he will let you know.......
hugs.gif

I just stumbled on this thread and was ecstatic! I have been wondering how Zane was doing for some time now.

I know exactly how you feel here.
You remember my Lucas?

I came to several close calls on putting him down and the vet was absolutely no help in treating him.
He was a little different than Zane, as he could walk, but could still not go out with the rest of the flock as they would surely have killed him.
I went back and forth for months trying to decide if he had a good quality of life or not.
As most know, he ended up living in the house, with his own room.
He seemed very content in here. I recall letting him out in the yard a few times, but I had to sit out with him or he would want right back in the house to be with me.
He didn't seem to miss the flock at all and seemed to think of me as his "flock".

The decision is ultimately yours, he is your bird and you know him best.

I finally came to my decision, decided he seemed to enjoy the quality of life that he had, so I let things take a natural course with Lucas. He was eating and drinking and seemed content.

In the end, he let me know it was his time to go and that he was ready. It was late in the evening and I couldn't take him to the vet. I made him very comfortable. That night he slept on the little sofa next to my bed, and he woke me in the middle of the night.....I almost wonder if he was waking me to say goodbye.
I sat next to him, he cuddled up to me and I held him close and then he was gone.

That boy found a special place deep in my heart.......
hit.gif
....sorry...need a moment....

I know you are going though a very hard time trying to make the right decision with him. All I can say is, follow your heart and listen to Zane, he will let you know.......
hugs.gif

I do remember your Lucas. Thank you for reminding me of him. My feeling is that if we can cope with doing all these things for Zane, long-term, then as long as he seems happy and interested in life around him, I'd like to keep him with me. The infection has been the thing that has worried me so much. If that goes systemic, we will lose him from that alone. I've been blessed to have such a special boy in my life for however long that is.

Back
Top Bottom