Ze coop, she is done! Tell me what you think. pics!

peepkeeper

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
upstate New York
My coop is 8x12, the run is 10x20. I used the beams from the upstairs deck as frames for the walls. The windows I found in the old shed. My house is an old farmhouse, and the back of the house is an old woodroom leading to the outside. I built the coop onto the woodroom, so it is attached to the house and I can go straight from the kitchen to the woodroom to the coop. I don't have to go outside in Adirondack weather to tend the chickens! And I can store feed and shavings and things right in the woodroom. What do you think?

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. It's nice to have the coop part of the house. No need
to go outside on those wintery NY days.

I think it was so nice of you to get the chickies their own washing machine
and dog too. Wow, you must love them a lot.
wink.png

Very nice! I have used the same type of fencing and It is so nice and easy for me. 10 x 20 is a great size for your birds as well. I have not lost the grass in most of my pens yet. I had to cut the size of one pen this year and with the dought It has gotten bare. I suspect with adequate water this fall and spring it will come back. It really nice to have the grass.

My idea of heaven is to NOT go outside to tend animals in the snow:D I would love an old fashioned house with the barn (and coop, of course) attached to the house.

What a great idea! And so convenient. Ya definately done good. You said you have really bad winters in the mountains of NY so I would suggest sealing the windows better so you don't have a stiff chilling breeze wafting through your coop when the big chill comes.
wink.png

Thanks all. Thanks BeckyLa, I thought of that too. I'm not sure how to insulate the windows without making them impossible to open, though. I could stuff the cracks with that fiberglass stuff for the winter but I'm afraid of the chickens eating it. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom