Zebra finches breeding odd question

Well she is still only peeping although rather loudly and she's stressed. I removed the male and he freaked out trying to get back into the cage and his nest. He's in a hospital cage in the bathroom woth the fan running. I played male and female songs and she only peeps. But I do see faint black patches on her cheeks maybe. Or I'm imagining it.
In person, does the white birds bill appear to be a lighter orange than his? Cock birds usually have a very bright, coral-orange sort of bill.

Well she is still only peeping although rather loudly and she's stressed. I removed the male and he freaked out trying to get back into the cage and his nest. He's in a hospital cage in the bathroom woth the fan running. I played male and female songs and she only peeps. But I do see faint black patches on her cheeks maybe. Or I'm imagining it.

In person, does the white birds bill appear to be a lighter orange than his? Cock birds usually have a very bright, coral-orange sort of bill.
They are the same color .

Do you see these faint black patches or am I gone crazy ?

Attachments

• IMG_20221201_145947071~2.jpg
    IMG_20221201_145947071~2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20221201_145952138~2.jpg
    IMG_20221201_145952138~2.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 3
I kind of see it? The image gets too grainy for me when I zoom in. It really looks like an over-pied male that doesn't have cheek patches..
He was with some other pieds. About five of them. They all had faint red orange cheek patches and muted orange feathers, no black feathers at all. And the faint little white specks. I've spent way to long today looking at these birds ha ha I better get off here. I'll let you know what anyone else says.
You could get a DNA sex test on that one:
https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/order-bird-dna-test/
They just need a few feathers or drops of blood, and I think it works on any species of bird.
I wonder what that costs ! I was shocked at how much things have increased. The birds were $50 each. The cage, I'm not even gonna go there 😳. Also wondering how to get blood from such a tiny bird ! Thank you for your suggestions!

He was with some other pieds. About five of them. They all had faint red orange cheek patches and muted orange feathers, no black feathers at all. And the faint little white specks. I've spent way to long today looking at these birds ha ha I better get off here. I'll let you know what anyone else says.

I wonder what that costs ! I was shocked at how much things have increased. The birds were $50 each. The cage, I'm not even gonna go there 😳. Also wondering how to get blood from such a tiny bird ! Thank you for your suggestions!
Usually for chicks, you clip a nail short to hit the quick.

Blood is easy. You just clip a toenail short enough to bleed. You fill the spot up on the card and send it off. To stop the bleeding apply Quik-Stop or another powder. Cornstarch or flour will work in a pinch.

According to the website, DNA sexing is currently $14 to $16 per bird. The price difference is based on whether you send in blood (slightly cheaper) or plucked feathers (slightly more expensive.) You can also send an eggshell after a baby hatches, and they will tell you what sex of baby bird hatched out of that shell (not helpful in this case, because you probably don't have the eggshell it hatched out of.)

Back
Top Bottom