zebra finches not breeding?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by spish, Nov 18, 2013.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive had zebra finches for a year now (16-20) in a large indoor aviary and 2 couples apart in breeding cages and still havent had any little ones born here :( this summer the ladies got broody and sat on eggs but after a few days they left the eggs and just used the nest as a toilet. any idea what we may be doing wrong? i though finches were 'easy' to breed?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    are you using the closed basket type nest? they like to have way more nests then they need. hidden in the farthest corner you have.and i am assuming you have plenty males? one on one allmost. i used to raise them and i miss them greatly. oh, and light , try some where the sun shines inside the nest or opposite the light you have. full spectrum like for plants is best .

3. kkdd

kkdd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    THEY ABANDONED THE BABIES IT HAPPENED TO ME TOO THROW OUT THE EGGS THEY WILL START AGAIN :)

4. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Were you able to get them to breed?

Once mine wouldn't for a very long time, so I tried moving it to the very top of the cage, and a few days later, there were eggs in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by